Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Italy ain't messin' around (and France & UK now)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by scoobsport98
Not everyone fits the mold you would like them for the sake of your argument, which is flimsy at best.
Speak for yourself:
Originally Posted by scoobsport98
but if you ask any american 'civil rights activist' how they would deal with those posing an immenent threat on our own soil, I'm sure they would also say that action should be taken
Old 08-05-2005, 12:06 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by Salty
Wow. Where do you get these third grade social studies answers?

Based on which amendment? Free speech nor freedom of religion does not apply under these circumstances. Google Professor Ali Al-Timimi and get back to me on how you're clearly wrong. His crime was not any act of terrorism or violence. We put him away for life recently because his jaws wouldn't stop flapping.
Al-timimi was convicted for inciting terrorism. So how am I wrong?

Wearing burqas is not similar to what al-timimi did. Religious garb is protected by the first ammendment, clearly.

Obviously, I am opposed to the type of legislation enacted as refered to by this thread, but Different countries have different laws.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:11 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Speak for yourself:
I believe you were making the generalizations. I simply said they weren't true, and not every civil rights activist would hold civil rights above protecting our country, given certain circumstances. Get real. People aren't that stupid, as much as it seems you'd like them to be.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by lojasmo
Wearing burqas is not similar to what al-timimi did. Religious garb is protected by the first ammendment, clearly.
Now, if this legislation would make it possible to deport or lock up those who dare to wear islamic garb, I'd feel differently. I may be wrong, but it is my impression that action would be taken only where there was convincing proof of a violent anti-american threat.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Al-timimi was convicted for inciting terrorism. So how am I wrong?

Obviously, I am opposed to the type of legislation enacted as refered to by this thread, but Different countries have different laws.
Oh I see... I thought you were talking about the new UK link I posted seeing how you quoted it in post #7, not the link in the first post. Sloppy quoting I suppose...

I agree. I was just trying to make my point on deportation and how freedom of religion or speech does not apply under the given circumstances not pertaining to religious garb. I think the anti-burqa portion of Italy’s "anti-terror package" is the wrong answer.

Last edited by Salty; 08-05-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:34 PM

Oh I see... I thought you were talking about the new UK link I posted seeing how you quoted it in post #7, not the link in the first post. Sloppy quoting I suppose...

I agree. I was just trying to make my point on deportation and how freedom of religion or speech does not apply under the given circumstances not pertaining to religious garb. I think the anti-burqa portion of Italy’s "anti-terror package" is the wrong answer.
Oh snap. I guess I didn't read the link thoroughly... With the 'askmuslims.com' thread in mind, that could possibly be the single WORST way of dealing with the problem.

If I was a peaceful muslim that got deported from a 'free' country because I wouldn't take a piece of cloth off my head, I just may go back home and join a few friends and who are planning an elaborate attack against that country...

This is an extremely important, extremely urgent problem, however, it also extremely delicate. In order to move in the direction we'd like (to reduce threats and future terrorists), everyone's feelings must be considered. Unless we want to get genocidal and wipe out a certain ethnicity just to be safe, we have to be extremely careful that our actions against terror don't compromise the freedom or rights of peaceful muslims to the point where we are breeding anti-american sentiment here at home and eroding the foundations which this country was built on. If we deport everyone and segregate by religion, then prepare for WWIII in the near future. If we aren't careful, our actions may have the complete opposite effect than what we intended.

... but as always ... easier said than done -- but at least it's been said.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:58 PM

I was specifically addressing why it is relatively more okay in europe than it is here.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:13 PM
VIP Member

I see, while quoting the 'U.K. Institutes New Deportation Measures' story in post #7. Good call seeing how there wasn't any mention of garbs or burqas in that particular story. In doing so you weren't being specific as you thought.

Seems you sloppily quoted one thing and then reverted back to the original story in the initial post by IS2scooby. Either that or you did not read the 'U.K. Institutes New Deportation Measures' story whatsoever. How very sloppy of you.

Last edited by Salty; 08-05-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Eject suspected terrorists out of this country with enough force for them to bounce on their turbans is what I say.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:58 AM

I see, while quoting the 'U.K. Institutes New Deportation Measures' story in post #7. Good call seeing how there wasn't any mention of garbs or burqas in that particular story. In doing so you weren't being specific as you thought.

Seems you sloppily quoted one thing and then reverted back to the original story in the initial post by IS2scooby. Either that or you did not read the 'U.K. Institutes New Deportation Measures' story whatsoever. How very sloppy of you.
No, I was answering the question asked in YOUR POST. I didn't read the article because I'm a lazy schmuck.

I do agree, though, that the actions taken by the U.K. are reasonable. I also believe that they would be found to be constitutional. HOWEVER, we would just throw those folks in Gitmo, which in my opinion, is not.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:35 PM
VIP Member

No, I was answering the question asked in YOUR POST.
If you say so. I realize this now seeing how you reverted back to garbs but didn't then seeing how you sloppily quoted the other story.

Listen, all I’m saying practice what you preach by not being sloppy, mmmkay?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:56 PM

Bah, humbug.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:53 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Hmmmm... "Tube Warning"
Old 08-16-2005, 06:42 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Why is France so damn worried? The terrorists love their lack of motivation and cowardice in reference to radicals and all types of violent conflict.