Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Iran's bad...but Worse than Saudi Arabia??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:53 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Iran's bad...but Worse than Saudi Arabia??

I don't like Iran. I think what the Bush admin has said about their elections is true. And their system of gov't (with a religious super-president that has ultimate veto power) sucks bad. But there's this point:
Originally Posted by article
Geoffrey Kemp, an Iran expert at the Nixon Center, a Washington think tank, said Bush's remarks ignore that some U.S. allies in the region, such as Saudi Arabia and Egypt, are much less democratic.
I really don't understand why we're so friendly with the Saudis. We all know they produce and harbour more terrorists than any of the other middle eastern countries. And they are less democratic than the 'axis of evil' countries. Why is Bush so hypocritical on this? We should have installed a democratic gov't in Saudi Arabia if we wanted to reduce terrorists and stabilize the middle east. Iraq wouldn't mean beans if SA was an outpost of Western democracy. OHH...that's right...Bush is loyal to his ex-business partners/family friends at the expense of the world and his own war on terror...
Old 06-17-2005, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Good point.

It's pretty much a classic case of keeping your enemies closer. You're absolutely right. Saudi Arabia has been harboring terrorists and have some fairly notorious radicals and anti-American movements in the region. The average citizen, however, is relatively moderate towards America. This may because they don't know any better due to censorship, etc. We have had good relations with King Fahd which have steadily decreased since he's gotten older and frail (last decade). I really think that the presence of the King is keeping us at bay. The Crown Prince has been running the show for the last decade anyway. If the king croaks and Abdullah moves up there is a chance for a shift in which crown prince's are in a position of power. I think that will really get things cooking with us. But for the time being, Iran is the one currently threatening us with the idea of nukes.

I'm really very tired of putting every middle eastern country together like a giant puzzle. Who's on our side, who are our enemies, who will give us head? My answer will be based on what will guarantee us cheap oil for the next 20 years or until we find an alternative energy supply that is capable of replacing our dependance on Arab oil -- whichever comes first. Let's just hurry up and stomp everyone of them into the ground. Friend or not. ****'em. Let's invade.

Think of it this way though. There are parts of western Pakistan that are for ****. They are corrupt out the *** and so are some parts of the east. BUT we have strong ties with the President, General Pervez Musharraf. He is very pro-western and probably the best chance that country has seen in some time. Sure, there are differences, but I think of it as being a similar situation.

Originally Posted by MVWRX
I think what the Bush admin has said about their elections is true. And their system of gov't (with a religious super-president that has ultimate veto power) sucks bad.
It shouldn't take the Bush Admins word to know this. Iran's government one of the most corrupt government in the world. Most of their people hate them. I mean hate. You can't get a cab or services if you're a known official. A lot of their citizens are moderate like Saudi Arabians. But I think more are pro-western IIRC.

Me and Subaruguru had a great drunken idea to handle Iran at the local bar last week. We need to infiltrate Iran with McDonalds. Seriously. Have McDonalds link-up with the CIA in conjunction with those willing Iranian citizens and small business owners. Then have a "Mickey-D Day" where they all open simultaneously in all parts of the country. Give them a taste of what they've been missing so they're willing to take a stand.

Last edited by Salty; 06-17-2005 at 03:52 PM.