Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Hypothetical- What would you rather have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 12:23 PM

Hypothetical- What would you rather have?

It's pretty popular around the world to condemn US troops as invaders, brutal, etc. Just as a thought experiment, I wondered to myself: If I were in a country that stood to be invaded, and I could choose anyone to be the invader, who would it be? My vote would be the US hands down. I'd like to see what you all think.

Here's why I vote US: U.S. troops have an extraordinary level of discipline compared to other armies, and there are harsh punishments (that are actually enforced against the troops) for war crimes. So there's a strong incentive for the rank and file to play nice with locals.

Compare this with a possible next country down on the list, Britain. The english have laws that specifically exempt state operatives from war crimes trials in England. These were passed to protect their assets from being tried for the horrible things they did in Northern Ireland.

Note: Please leave France out of the picture, because everyone knows ideally that would be best. The invasion would be beaten back in 30 minutes, so that defeats the point of the question!

Edited for clarity:

What I'm asking is if you were in another country and your country were to be invaded, who would you choose to be the ones that invade? Not like if you were going to do the invading. I mean, if you could go back and be an Iraqi in 2001...and of all the countries that might invade, you could pick one, who would it be?

Last edited by subaruguru; 09-24-2004 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:35 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Your question is a little open-ended for me pea-brain.

If we are talking modern armies, then yes, I vote for USA's Green Machine.
Now, if I had my pick of any army/warrior class, I'd take a division of Beserkers hands down.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oaf
Your question is a little open-ended for me pea-brain.

If we are talking modern armies, then yes, I vote for USA's Green Machine.
Now, if I had my pick of any army/warrior class, I'd take a division of Beserkers hands down.
I meant if you were citizen to be invaded! Like, if you were worried about a bunch of psychos raping your kids and stealing all of your food. Sorry about being vague.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
The French cause that would all but assure us of victory! :banana:
Old 09-24-2004, 01:10 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by subaruguru
It's pretty popular around the world to condemn US troops as invaders, brutal, etc. Just as a thought experiment, I wondered to myself: If I were in a country that stood to be invaded, and I could choose anyone to be the invader, who would it be? My vote would be the US hands down.
If someone were to invade the US, I guess the US would be the best choice. This is really an asanine question imho. If any other force were to invade, I would consider myself dead and fight until that happened. Unless of course, the invading party was invading because Bush/Cheney decided to round up all the muslims and execute them...
Old 09-24-2004, 01:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
The French cause that would all but assure us of victory! :banana:

Hahahaha! I'd personally take the UK first, US second.

-Chris
Old 09-24-2004, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
If someone were to invade the US, I guess the US would be the best choice. This is really an asanine question imho. If any other force were to invade, I would consider myself dead and fight until that happened. Unless of course, the invading party was invading because Bush/Cheney decided to round up all the muslims and execute them...
The idea is to make a point about which armies around the world are less prone to war crimes and needless destruction. That's the view I'm trying to get people to take.

Side note: Your patriotism is inspiring. I think I'll call you motivator from now on.

Thanks for pledging your blood to the US, Motivator.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Hahahaha! I'd personally take the UK first, US second.

-Chris
It's a sensible choice. Glad to see no one has picked China yet.

Btw, why the UK first?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Aspin '02 WRX sedan
Canada.... "Drop your weapons eh... stand up against the wall, or you can sit if you want. what ever is more comfortable for you, you hoser"

only because I think that they are a much much "softer" version of the US. The only violence I see from them is if there is an upset in a hockey match....
Old 09-24-2004, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by RSA WRX
Canada.... "Drop your weapons eh... stand up against the wall, or you can sit if you want. what ever is more comfortable for you, you hoser"

only because I think that they are a much much "softer" version of the US. The only violence I see from them is if there is an upset in a hockey match....
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-71-723/...t_war/somalia/

haha, good one...but you might want to check out that link. Some of the stuff those guys did in Somalia makes Abu Ghraib look like fraternity hazing.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:36 PM
VIP Member

It's a sensible choice. Glad to see no one has picked China yet.

Btw, why the UK first?

Ehh, they are less threatening. My family is all from England, and I would rather have the English military invade than some of the scary SOB american military that I have met. This is not a bash of the US military at all, it's actually a compliment. You want your home team to be a bunch of agressive guys. I would have voted for the French because they are a more western style military that is even less threatening than the Brits, but the French hate us, so who knows how they would treat us. Read up on how Napolean treated people, crazy French. The Brits are the best amalgom of US tactics that limit civilian losses, minus some agressivness.

-Chris
Old 09-24-2004, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-71-723/...t_war/somalia/

haha, good one...but you might want to check out that link. Some of the stuff those guys did in Somalia makes Abu Ghraib look like fraternity hazing.

W3RD. They are cooped up half the damn year, and seem to like to take their agression out on thier POWs.

-Chris
Old 09-24-2004, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
HAHA Yeah... let's not even get into the Canada. The things CAR did are still being talked about.

The CAR (Canadian Airborne Regiment) was disbanded (Jan95?) and its duties were taken over by JTF-2 . CAR was disbanded by the Canadian government (same party that's in power now) after the Somalia incident of 93' where a number of ****heads from 2 Commando beat and tortured a kid to death along with a number of other things that aren't worth mentioning.

Last edited by Salty; 09-24-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:52 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
HAHA Yeah... let's not even get into the Canada. The things CAR did are still being talked about.

The CAR (Canadian Airborne Regiment) was disbanded (Jan95?) and its duties were taken over by JTF-2 . CAR was disbanded by the Canadian government (same party that's in power now) after the Somalia incident of 93' where a number of ****heads from 2 Commando beat and tortured a kid to death along with a number of other things that aren't worth mentioning.
Our shop in Montreal employ's a Para from 2 Commando...strange fellow....he wanted to take me to a strip joint to show off his wife(a stripper)...apperantly every Friday he takes the guys from his shift to watch his wife work.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
Ehh, they are less threatening. My family is all from England, and I would rather have the English military invade than some of the scary SOB american military that I have met. This is not a bash of the US military at all, it's actually a compliment. You want your home team to be a bunch of agressive guys.

-Chris
I think that's part of Subaruguru's point…

You wouldn't have anything to fear seeing how we can never tap into this aggressiveness! With all the micromanaging and excessive restrictions, I can't think of any other military to attack us besides our own neutered forces.

Quick Reply: Hypothetical- What would you rather have?