Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

House Approves Flag-Burning Amendment

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Flag burning illegal?

What do you guys think. Should it be illegal or is it freedom of speech?

Quote for passage;
"Ask the men and women who stood on top of the [World] Trade Center," said Rep. Randy [Duke] Cunningham, R-California. "Ask them and they will tell you: pass this amendment."
Quote against passage;
But Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-New York, said, "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents."
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/....ap/index.html

Last edited by EricDaRed81; 06-22-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
House Approves Flag-Burning Amendment

Uh-oh... Seems that congress is trying to eliminate the #1 pastime for radical liberals, Muslim fundamentalists, and anti-American scum.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050622/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

WASHINGTON - The House on Wednesday approved a constitutional amendment that would give Congress the power to ban desecration of the American flag, a measure that for the first time stands a chance of passing the Senate as well.

By a 286-130 vote, House members approved the amendment — as they have six times before — after a debate over whether such a ban would uphold or run afoul of the Constitution's free-speech protections. The measure now advances to the Senate, where activists on both sides say it stands the best chance of passage in its 16-year history.
Looks like it may fly too. I don't think this will eliminate the traditional flag burning ceremonies though...

What do you think of this?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Dirty Redhead

I beat you by 3 mins you copycat.

I think it's a violation of freedom of speech personally
Old 06-22-2005, 12:16 PM
VIP Member

I'm going to merge yours on my thread because you have a 'for' and 'against' argument posted I'd rather be seen.

*MERGED*
Old 06-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Dirty Redhead

I just re-read what I typed and I had it backwards. It's fixed now though
Old 06-22-2005, 12:37 PM
VIP Member

It pains me to say this but I agree with the against argument.

I hold America sacred in my heart. If you're against flag burning then you're no different than those Muslims that complained about the desecration of the Qu'ran IMHO.

I don't care what they hold sacred really. Am I to believe that as a human being, you're not capable of holding what you feel to be sacred in your heart and mind as opposed to something tangible? You can't possilby buy into it.

What really pisses me off about flag burning on U.S. soil is that those doing it ALWAYS claim to be pro-American. Their only rebuttal is that they're against the current system, a frivolous law they don't agree with, Bush, the "Neo-Cons", or whatever. Makes no sense. Wouldn't it be more logical to burn a poster of Bush or a draft of the law you're firmly against instead of a flag that represents the good of our country since the 18th century? A flag that represents your very freedom to bicker and complain? A flag that represents all American Heros from MLK to our men in uniform? Idiots.

Last edited by Salty; 06-22-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Dirty Redhead

Yup the people that burn it are complete idiots IMO.

But they should be able to. But make sure they don't use any illegal fireworks because that would be bad.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:27 PM
VIP Member

Agreed. It is a legitimate form of protest and expression, as misguided and idiotic as it might be.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

I'd support an Amendment that didn't ban flagburning, but did make it legal to kick the **** out people that did.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Dirty Redhead

Originally Posted by Salty
I'd support an Amendment that didn't ban flagburning, but did make it legal to kick the **** out people that did.
Winnar
Old 06-22-2005, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
"But Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-New York, said, "If the flag needs protection at all, it needs protection from members of Congress who value the symbol more than the freedoms that the flag represents." "

What? This is ludicrous. If someone burns the flag they are rejecting everything the flag stands for, not just a few politicians they disagree with.

I say that 5 people go in a public place in other countries and burt the state flag.... let's see what kind of response they get. I'd suggest North Korea and Indonesia for starters, and I'd like to see Nadler light the latter one.

Anyhow, I hope the DA would at least prosecute under arson laws

Last edited by HellaDumb; 06-22-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
I think congress has more important things to discuss. This is stupid, while there at it they should lift the law on destroying currency, I guess that's a whole new ball game though, isn't money govt. property? I wonder if the flags that are burned are thier own private property?
Old 06-23-2005, 08:27 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Isn't there more important things for congress to do than to stop a few wackos from buring cloth (Important cloth, but cloth none-the-less)? I mean c'mon, is this REALLY the best thing that they could be doing with thier time.

If people want to do it, let them. Its a stupid way to protest, and turns more people AGAINST you than to go WITH you. It just pisses me off that we have congressmen who feel this is more important than our gigantic debt, or the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:47 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by Salty
It pains me to say this but I agree with the against argument.

I hold America sacred in my heart. If you're against flag burning then you're no different than those Muslims that complained about the desecration of the Qu'ran IMHO.

I don't care what they hold sacred really. Am I to believe that as a human being, you're not capable of holding what you feel to be sacred in your heart and mind as opposed to something tangible? You can't possilby buy into it.

What really pisses me off about flag burning on U.S. soil is that those doing it ALWAYS claim to be pro-American. Their only rebuttal is that they're against the current system, a frivolous law they don't agree with, Bush, the "Neo-Cons", or whatever. Makes no sense. Wouldn't it be more logical to burn a poster of Bush or a draft of the law you're firmly against instead of a flag that represents the good of our country since the 18th century? A flag that represents your very freedom to bicker and complain? A flag that represents all American Heros from MLK to our men in uniform? Idiots.
You beat me to it. Burning a picture of Bush is anti-current administration, standing, etc... Burning a flag is unamerican no matter what party you stand for. I think it may be a slight violation of the freedom of speech but I also think such a disgraceful act should not be tolerated regardless of how the amendment is precieved.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:07 AM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
I say let them burn it. Because it they do it in front of me, it's just one more good reason I have to beat the holy living sh*t out of some punk b*tch.

I'm really a non-violent person though. It just bugs me when I see people spit on a symbol that means so much to so many. It's like the ultimate insault. If a total stranger walked up to you and said they were going to rape your mother, what would you do? That's how strongly I feel about what our flag represents. All the Americans that put themselves in harms way, to help spread and preserve our way of life to those who live it and those that want it, are represented by the flag. These people willingly put themselves in a position where they knew they would face their ultimate fears and be pushed to their ultimate limmits both physically and pschologically. You have to respect this. Our Vets deserve this honor.

However, I agree with you guys. If some ungrateful worthless worm wants to spit on all of that, that is their right. Although, I think that this law may actually protect these people from getting their asses beaten to within an inch of their lives.

Quick Reply: House Approves Flag-Burning Amendment