Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Front Page of the Times (9/26/05)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 08:11 AM

Car Info: Sline
Front Page of the Times (9/26/05)

The front page of the times caught my eye this morning. First thing that came to my mind was: "This is what NO's SHOULD have done." Although, this is everyone returning to Houston.

The Article
Old 09-26-2005, 01:12 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
dang... everyone returned in 15 school busses?

Old 09-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
Originally Posted by jvick125
The front page of the times caught my eye this morning. First thing that came to my mind was: "This is what NO's SHOULD have done." Although, this is everyone returning to Houston.

The Article

You have to remember that the president isn't from NO
Old 09-26-2005, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Yeah, I mean wasn't it very obvious that from the start that things were going to be different in Texas? Mostly it was the govenor and local officials that are to blame in NOLA but you just know Bush was ready to go in regards to Texas and making sure it didn't happen there.

I think that can be attributed more to people learning from Katrina's mistakes than the president having more priority in Texas than in NOLA although I am sure that played a part. I mean after all Texas is his home state not just somewhere he went to have a good time, ocasionally too much.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:32 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
Yeah, I mean wasn't it very obvious that from the start that things were going to be different in Texas? Mostly it was the govenor and local officials that are to blame in NOLA but you just know Bush was ready to go in regards to Texas and making sure it didn't happen there.

I think that can be attributed more to people learning from Katrina's mistakes than the president having more priority in Texas than in NOLA although I am sure that played a part. I mean after all Texas is his home state not just somewhere he went to have a good time, ocasionally too much.

It has nothing to do with priorities. He is the President of America not Texas. It worked out better for Texas because we knew how to do things this time around weren't going to take any risks. Any other explanation as far as "priorities" goes is bogus.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:35 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
It has nothing to do with priorities. He is the President of America not Texas. It worked out better for Texas because we knew how to do things this time around weren't going to take any risks. Any other explanation as far as "priorities" goes is bogus.
Pretty much exactly what I said. I'm sure priorities played a small part though. Hell he spends most of his time in Texas.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:36 PM

I think that can be attributed more to people learning from Katrina's mistakes than the president having more priority in Texas than in NOLA although I am sure that played a part.

Yup, almost.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:37 PM
VIP Member

Not to mention it wasn't really anywhere near the same stregth of Hurricane.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:40 PM
VIP Member

It has nothing to do with priorities. He is the President of America not Texas.
You wouldn't know it considering the amount of time he spends there.

But I know you can conduct business like that from anywhere in the free world with the communication network like it is.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:42 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Well he was on vacation in Texas when Katrina hit, I'd say he has been president of Texas for about 5 weeks every year since he took office, because when he's in Texas the rest of the country doesn't seem much to matter.

And I think the biggest real difference was that this time they actually had someone in charge of FEMA that knew maybe a little bit more than "Brownie" about disater management.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:43 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by psoper
And I think the biggest real difference was that this time they actually had someone in charge of FEMA that knew maybe a little bit more than "Brownie" about disater management.

Brownie you're doin' a heck of a job!!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:43 PM

You wouldn't know it considering the amount of time he spends there.

But I know you can conduct business like that from anywhere in the free world with the communication network like it is.
Exactly, I'm glad you pointed that out. If SOCOM troops can be watched in real time on the ground during combat operations then why would the President have to be sitting right in a hurricane to get things done? I hate when people bring this up. And if I was President you can rest assured I'd spend all my time in my home state. But then again, I'm from Maryland so I guess that doesn't count.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:47 PM
VIP Member

Exactly, I'm glad you pointed that out. If SOCOM troops can be watched in real time on the ground during combat operations then why would the President have to be sitting right in a hurricane to get things done? I hate when people bring this up. And if I was President you can rest assured I'd spend all my time in my home state. But then again, I'm from Maryland so I guess that doesn't count.

The problem is that the perception is bad for him in that situation. People see him in Texas and not in DC when the largest natural disaster to hit our shores is about to happen and it looks bad. Whether you like that or not it's true.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:50 PM

The problem is that the perception is bad for him in that situation. People see him in Texas and not in DC when the largest natural disaster to hit our shores is about to happen and it looks bad. Whether you like that or not it's true.

I'm not going to disagree with you there. For the sake of people who don't realize that we have satellites, cell phones and branch offices he should have been in either D.C. or in the hit states just for the mental factor.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:54 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
...there is a reason that people GO to work though, as opposed to everyone working from home by network...

Quick Reply: Front Page of the Times (9/26/05)