Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

The evolution of math...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
The evolution of math...

BASIC MATH:

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

6. Teaching Math In 2006

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:05 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Hahaha...that's pretty good man. This bugs me a lot, that people aren't learning basic skills. Then we have a test to exit HS, which would test the very math you bring up, and people want a 'special' diploma for those who can't pass the test...rediculous. If you can't do simple math, you don't desearve a diploma. Hell, I think you should have to know some trig and simple calc too. They have to in every other '1st world' country.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:13 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by MVWRX
Hahaha...that's pretty good man. This bugs me a lot, that people aren't learning basic skills. Then we have a test to exit HS, which would test the very math you bring up, and people want a 'special' diploma for those who can't pass the test...rediculous. If you can't do simple math, you don't desearve a diploma. Hell, I think you should have to know some trig and simple calc too. They have to in every other '1st world' country.

Yeah, that and be fluent in english (in reading, writing and speaking)
Old 05-22-2006, 12:19 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Definatly. Of course, it'd be nice if ever HS graduate was fluent in English plus another language of their choice (also like in most other countries). But since English is pretty much global, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
We've all missed the most important aspect of the story: Which burger did you get for that $1.58?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
The moral of the story is that we're now starting to see the prophecy.

Remember those kids you made fun of by telling them that they'd better master the phrase, "do you want fries with that?", we'll it turns out that they're underqualified to even work at Burger King.

What's amazing is, even in times of war where we're supposedly not meeting our goals, I can't even begin to tell you how many folks Army Recruiting turns away due to being multiple failures on the ASVAB (check out all of the test prep web sites here.)