Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Education and its cost.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 04:47 PM

Education and its cost.

So, I just graudated and Im in debt. Substantial debt. So are most of my friends. The sad part is, that I got lucky schools are starting to cost more and more. And I mean ALOT more. In one semester alone tuition went up 500 to 1000 dollars. Thats a HUGE increase. And I went to a Public University. I almost went to Rice or Havard but the price was just not justified. Thirty-Five thousand dollars a year. Thats more than some people make in a year! One of my best friends is now going to Med school. She is paying almost 20 thousand a semester. So im concerned for when I have children. (Granted I don't even plan to get married till im 30.) How much is it going to cost them and me to put them through college. Its getting to the point where its going to be almost impossible to not go into major debt, and leave college with 100 thousand dollars of debt. So do you guys think that the government should help try and lower the prices. Or pay for 4 years of college?

Me, I don't know what the government should do specifically. My parents are fanically pretty well off. Well off enough to help me out. They also put my two older siblings through college. (They both only got their B.S.) And my little brother starts college next fall. So they should be able to pay for his schooling just fine. Then my mother plans to retire.

Idealy I would think it would help us out in the future if the government did something. Anything to lower the burden on future students. But what do you guys think should be done?
Old 09-25-2004, 06:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
personally, i think that some people go overboard when it comes to sending their children away to college. does a kid really need to move to a city like Santa Barbara and pay major $$ to get an education, or will a local state college be just as good at much less cost? i understand that it's an "experience" to move away from home and to a fun new place for college, but isn't that also placing a burden on the kids by loading them up with major debt before they can even get their adult lives started?

i for one am extremely happy that i went to a lowly state college, lived with my folks, worked part time, and graduated with $0 in student loans.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:34 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I feel your pain. I hear how some people owe over $100K after grad/law/med school.
But that's why they get paid the big bucks.

My college experience was just the opposite: when I graduated, I had more money than when I started!

The main reason I joined the Army was for college money...signed up for $633.33/month, but it was increased to $783.33/month.
Then, I took out two college loans, which I "gambled" with on stocks.
The stock quadrupled before graduation and I repaid the loans interest-free & bough myself a graduation present with the profit.

But to answer your question: should the gov't lower the price of college?

I'll assume you mean public colleges & not private institutions.

Sure, lower the cost that students pay. But don't raise taxes.
Cut some silly program & use the money to subsidize the students.
The more, higher educated people we have, the better the country will be.

Last edited by FW Motorsports; 09-25-2004 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Brain fade.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:48 PM

Well the majority of people enlist just for that reason Oaf. But I don't want to have four years of my life owned by someone. That was my choice and thats why I have to pay back my loans. The thing is Russ, some of my friends can't just live at home. Some have family issues some have parents that don't want them to go to college. And others, parents just can't afford for them to go. And Oaf, yes law and med school cost big money. But the rate that Public schools are increaseing cost is SCARY and for no real valid reason. For example I went to Universit of Texas at Austin. Its a public, school that just raised over 1 billion dollars from donations. Yes thats right 1 BILLION dollars in donations. Guess what they did after annoucing this? They raised tuition. Thats ludicrus!

Maybe make them more accountable on how they spend money that is donated to them. Also I know several students that are graduating with over $100k and have not even gone to grad/law/med schoool. Oh and grad school tuition wise isn't that expensive. Its usually cheaper than undergrad. But not by much.

I don't know Im just frustrated right now, I pay more than some people pay on car payments to pay back my loans. I have friends that could make house payments with what they are paying back. Shrug. Im just thankful I have a decent job. (rant off.)

"The more, higher educated people we have, the better the country will be." Totally agree.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:08 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Unregistered
Well the majority of people enlist just for that reason Oaf. But I don't want to have four years of my life owned by someone. That was my choice and thats why I have to pay back my loans. The thing is Russ, some of my friends can't just live at home. Some have family issues some have parents that don't want them to go to college. And others, parents just can't afford for them to go. And Oaf, yes law and med school cost big money. But the rate that Public schools are increaseing cost is SCARY and for no real valid reason. For example I went to Universit of Texas at Austin. Its a public, school that just raised over 1 billion dollars from donations. Yes thats right 1 BILLION dollars in donations. Guess what they did after annoucing this? They raised tuition. Thats ludicrus!

Maybe make them more accountable on how they spend money that is donated to them. Also I know several students that are graduating with over $100k and have not even gone to grad/law/med schoool. Oh and grad school tuition wise isn't that expensive. Its usually cheaper than undergrad. But not by much.

I don't know Im just frustrated right now, I pay more than some people pay on car payments to pay back my loans. I have friends that could make house payments with what they are paying back. Shrug. Im just thankful I have a decent job. (rant off.)

"The more, higher educated people we have, the better the country will be." Totally agree.
$1 Billion!?
You gotta have that wrong.
How much does a semester cost?
Old 09-26-2004, 11:04 AM

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news...l-698277.shtml

Nope not wrong at all....i took them like 6 years to raise that type of money. I believe they where doing over half a million dollars a day. I still think they are asking for donations. Oh and if I remember right that doesn't include the HUGE donations they have gotten from certain individuals. We are talking over 100 million mark. Where does all that money go?!!!?

Semesters cost around 5 thousand dollars. Around 4 thousand in tuition and the rest for books and parking etc...
Old 09-26-2004, 01:03 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

That's enough $$ to provide 25000 people a four year degree!!
Old 09-26-2004, 04:24 PM

UT raises tons of money. But the tiution never drops. I just don't understand where its all going. Shrug. Oh and they never stopped raising money...so who knows what is now.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
UT raises tons of money. But the tiution never drops. I just don't understand where its all going. Shrug. Oh and they never stopped raising money...so who knows what is now.
Is that where the Longhorns play? Someones gotta pay for all the SUV's and Rims for those recruits!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 09:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
The price of college is crazy now!!! My brother, my sister, and I all are paying for our own college degrees. Now my parents divorced, there is no way my mom could pay for my college, and I wouldn't expect her too. But right now i'm pretty short on money, yeah I pay my car insurrance, my college tuition, my books, my gas, my maitanance on my car and my mom's car, yes I have a nice car but I'm paying that off to my mom too. Because of all of this I've stayed in town and went to a community college for my basics, but I know i'll have to take out some loans to go away to a 4 year college. Lucky now I will have my mom's poor income on my side to get more support next year, plain and simple they need to stop raising tuition costs and make college affordable!
Old 09-27-2004, 02:43 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Don't be a cry baby. If you can't afford a regular school go to junior college. If you aren't a white male you'll probably get some nice grants along the way as well. Get loans, work part time, or whatever... just do what it takes to get it over with.

Think student loans stink? It's not as bad as working a ****e job.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Don't be a cry baby. If you can't afford a regular school go to junior college. If you aren't a white male you'll probably get some nice grants along the way as well. Get loans, work part time, or whatever... just do what it takes to get it over with.

Think student loans stink? It's not as bad as working a ****e job.
It's cost-benefit analysis. Sometimes the job one gets after graduating college doesn't make enough to justify the cost of college, when compared to the pay of a non college edjucated job. Whith how quickly the price of tuition is going up relative to the average increase in income it is becoming more and more logical to find alternative forms of education and work (i.e. vocations and aprenticeships and blue collar.)

-Chris
Old 09-27-2004, 02:49 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Yeah, just grow up and be HellaDumb.
BTW, dumb, I worked FULL time to get through school and my only transpo was a POS motorcycle. School's more expensive now, I don't know how kids do it.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:18 PM

Im a minority I got a 200 dollar grant....wohooo didn't even cover my books. And people wonder why our education system is going to ****. School Teachers make penny's when they get out and huge loans to pay off. Shrug. And Im thinking of going back to get my PhD. Yeah that will be cheap.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Im a minority I got a 200 dollar grant....wohooo didn't even cover my books. And people wonder why our education system is going to ****. School Teachers make penny's when they get out and huge loans to pay off. Shrug. And Im thinking of going back to get my PhD. Yeah that will be cheap.
Where do you think that $200 grant came from? Funny I didn't get that one =). Anyway, that's besides the point. People need to do whatever it takes to finish school, unless that person has ZERO drive and will waste the opportunities and education can afford.

As jobs become more competitive, an education will usually give you an edge over the other candidates, even if you didn't learn one Darn thing in school.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 09-28-2004 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Education and its cost.