Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Does Obama want to ban guns and rifles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:03 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
Does Obama want to ban guns and rifles?

In an ad titled "Hunter," aired Monday, September 22, the National Rifle Association asserts that Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama has voted to ban common ammunition and supports banning shotguns and rifles used by hunters. "Now I learn that Barack Obama supports a huge new tax on my guns and ammo," the narrator of the ad says. "If you can believe it, he also supports a ban on the shotguns and rifles most of us use for hunting."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ry/fact-check/
Old 09-23-2008, 02:09 PM

Car Info: .
Obamas stance on the 2nd is laughable. I love the "common sense" laws that only appeal to people with a lack there of.

Ahh, **** it, I almost feel like it doesn't even matter at this point. Every election it seems like we're getting screwed one way or the other.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:09 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
YEA the NRA is sooooo anti OBAMA its unbelieveable. He really is against guns of any sort and is all about making as many as he can illeagal and the ones he cant ban he wants to tax the crap out of both the guns and the ammo. Dont forget he is a peace loving liberal democrat. Thats what those people do.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
His position on the 2nd amendment would likely be no guns period. After all big govt. doesn't like the idea of a bunch of governed with guns.

Last edited by ipozestu; 09-23-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by Shayhan27
Dont forget he is a peace loving liberal democrat. Thats what those people do.
I love it, the people who preach tolerance and acceptance are the ones voting pro nanny legislation and disrupting political conventions whos policies they don't agree with.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Obamas stance on the 2nd is laughable. I love the "common sense" laws that only appeal to people with a lack there of.

Ahh, **** it, I almost feel like it doesn't even matter at this point. Every election it seems like we're getting screwed one way or the other.
Truth.

I, sadly, will be voting this season for Obama.

I say sadly because I have been given the option of the Republicans of a feeble old white man who will almost certainly lead us in NO direction (not back, not forward, just another 4 years of being right where we are).

And the Democrats have done none better with a slightly over reaching, inexperienced candidate who's biggest contribution to society thus far has been taking the word "Change" and effectively rendering it completely droll.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
The Facts
On his campaign Web site, Obama says he respects the Second Amendment right to bear arms and "will protect the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport and use guns." As CNN reported, Obama's running mate, Sen. Joe Biden, told supporters at a Virginia rally on Saturday, September 20, "I guarantee you, Barack Obama ain't taking my shotguns. So don't buy that malarkey. They're going to start peddling that to you. I've got two and if he tries to fool with my Beretta, he's got a problem."

Obama supports reinstating former President Bill Clinton's ban on assault rifles, closing what he calls a loophole that lets people buy handguns at gun shows without the same rigorous background checks as at stores and what his Web site calls "commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them." He has publicly supported the right of local governments to have handgun bans and, as a state senator, cosponsored a failed bill that would have limited handgun sales to one per month.

To support its claims, the NRA ad prints three references at the bottom of the screen — a 2005 Senate vote, a 2004 Senate debate with Republican opponent Alan Keyes and a 1999 article in the Chicago Defender. The vote, which the ad calls an effort "to ban virtually all deer-hunting ammunition," was an unsuccessful effort to expand the legal definition of armor-piercing ammunition to include pistol and rifle rounds that the U.S. attorney general deemed more likely to penetrate body armor than a normal round. In a Senate speech, the amendment's sponsor, Sen. Edward Kennedy, said it was not aimed at ammunition used for hunting. In addition, the vote itself wouldn't have singled out any ammunition — instead leaving the decision on what, if anything, to ban up to the attorney general.

The claim Obama would push a "ban on shotguns and rifles most of us use for hunting" is pegged to this quote from the 2004 debate: "Mr. Keyes does not believe in any limits, from what I can tell, with respect to the possession of guns, including assault weapons that have only one purpose, to kill people. I think it is a scandal that this president did not authorize a renewal of the assault weapons ban."

The 1999 article in the Chicago Defender paraphrases a speech by Obama — then a state senator — in which it says he promoted a plan to "increase the federal taxes by 500 percent on the sale of firearm, ammunition [sic] — weapons he says are most commonly used in firearm deaths." Obama's exact words aren't documented. But, as a state senator, Obama would have had no control over federal taxes and, as a U.S. senator, he has neither introduced nor suggested such a plan.

The Verdict: Misleading. While Obama has supported some measures to limit gun rights, he has backed nothing on the scale suggested in the ad.
He isn't taking anything away, quit your *****ing
Old 09-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
did any of you even read the entire article??

The Verdict: Misleading. While Obama has supported some measures to limit gun rights, he has backed nothing on the scale suggested in the ad.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Krinkov
did any of you even read the entire article??
Why would you read it when you can just be ignorant!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:32 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
He isn't taking anything away, quit your *****ing
Gagan, for being a self proclaimed conservative, you've really taken this Obama thing, hook line and sinker.
VIP Member

Jeremy what's with the troll status?
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
nader for me