Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...
View Poll Results: Do you support impeachment of President Bush?
Yes
60.87%
No
39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Do you support the impeachment of President Bush?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:57 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by lojasmo
Come on now....we had scads of satelite surveilance, and we knew that the WMDs were "in tikrit, and to the north, and the south, and the east, and the west" (that lying bastard, Rumsfeld) If Hussein had moved the weapons in the weeks leading up to the war, we would know where he moved them to.
We can see underground?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by jvick125
We can see underground?
Actually we can, and I believe there was a thread on this topic in the run-up to the war in the early days of this forum but I can't remember what it was. But again I believe that technology (like 1Regu pointed out) needs to be directed somewheres.

Gotta know where to look
Old 11-08-2005, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
Actually we can, and I believe there was a thread on this topic in the run-up to the war in the early days of this forum but I can't remember what it was. But again I believe that technology (like 1Regu pointed out) needs to be directed somewheres.

Gotta know where to look
I didn't know that we could. I bet the extent to which we can is very limited. But you're right we do need to know where to look, when to look, etc.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:10 AM

Car Info: 05 STi

Gotta know where to look
We can only see with either thermal optics (down to the point where temp. signature is still evident which could be 5 feet or 100) and the other is by electronic signature. If there is activity underground there's a good chance we'll know about it. It may be a coal mine and it could be a anthrax lab. We'd just know someone's down there. We can also sense movement with laser sizmagraph which just registers movement. SF units are given local units to detect troop movements which are highly effective. When they detect movement they call an airstike/artillery on "the piece".
Old 11-08-2005, 06:21 AM

5-100 ft. that's a pretty large range.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:47 AM

5-100 ft. that's a pretty large range.
Yup, depends on the density of what it's looking through and what kinds of heat emitting targets its searching for. If it's looking for a nuclear reactor buried under 100 ft. of sand that be easy to see. Finding a person hiding in a cave of composite rock form would be a much more difficult task (hint hint Afganistan). You can also search for electrical signals (how we're looking for Bin Laden). For instance, when you use a cell phone it gives off an electron signature specific only to it. Bin Laden's just been smart about screening his calls and using covers and decoys to hide his location. Bastard.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Yup, depends on the density of what it's looking through and what kinds of heat emitting targets its searching for. If it's looking for a nuclear reactor buried under 100 ft. of sand that be easy to see. Finding a person hiding in a cave of composite rock form would be a much more difficult task (hint hint Afganistan). You can also search for electrical signals (how we're looking for Bin Laden). For instance, when you use a cell phone it gives off an electron signature specific only to it. Bin Laden's just been smart about screening his calls and using covers and decoys to hide his location. Bastard.
What about a thick underground concrete bunker? Used for hiding people and weapons? putting off realitively low heat (compared to a reactor)
Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 AM

What about a thick underground concrete bunker? Used for hiding people and weapons? putting off realitively low heat (compared to a reactor)
Practically invisible.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:31 AM

Practically invisible.
If people on here are willing to accept your credibility, my point is proven.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Practically invisible.
Not for long....

or maybe we are using some of this technology like we did for years with say the SR-71? Who knows!?!?!?!?

http://www.darpa.mil/spo/programs/uf.htm?area=4
Old 11-08-2005, 08:35 AM

Not for long....

or maybe we are using some of this technology like we did for years with say the SR-71? Who knows!?!?!?!?

Hopefully this is put into affect pretty quick.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:38 AM
VIP Member

Hopefully this is put into affect pretty quick.
I would bet that something like this is already in effect even if it is a somewhat limited scale.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:42 AM

Not for long....

Yeah, those two things linked at the bottom of the page I had mentioned just in exponentially less detail. We do have bunker busters and MOABs which leave pretty much any military facility vulnerable. The trouble is finding them. People will always be able to hide regardless of what technology comes up. It's possible to isolate thermal and electronic fields underground just as we do it in the air with the F-117 and the newer F-22 Raptor (air is a much harder medium for concealment). The passive system is amazing though. The unmanned aerial surviellance units can detech a heart beat from miles away. This was used thorougly in Afghanistan when Taliban fighters would try and wait for hours in the mountains for a passing patrol. Instead the patrols would have the eye in the sky look out in front of them for potential threats so they could go quiet or call in arty./magic dragon strikes.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:44 AM
VIP Member

Yeah, those two things linked at the bottom of the page I had mentioned just in exponentially less detail. We do have bunker busters and MOABs which leave pretty much any military facility vulnerable. The trouble is finding them. People will always be able to hide regardless of what technology comes up. It's possible to isolate thermal and electronic fields underground just as we do it in the air with the F-117 and the newer F-22 Raptor (air is a much harder medium for concealment). The passive system is amazing though. The unmanned aerial surviellance units can detech a heart beat from miles away. This was used thorougly in Afghanistan when Taliban fighters would try and wait for hours in the mountains for a passing patrol. Instead the patrols would have the eye in the sky look out in front of them for potential threats so they could go quiet or call in arty./magic dragon strikes.
That is wicked.....
Old 11-08-2005, 08:46 AM

I would bet that something like this is already in effect even if it is a somewhat limited scale.
Oh def. My physics teacher in high school (02-'03) was a former SR-71 pilot and told us, of what he could, some of the spy technology he could.

Quick Reply: Do you support the impeachment of President Bush?