Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Did you miss me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 07:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Did you miss me?

Well I'm back from my vacation from Rome, Italy. Although it should have been a relaxing honeymoon, I'll call it a vacation instead because it wasn't what I expected from a city that thrives off the tourists' wallets. Needless to say, I think I’ll take my wife on a long weekend to San Francisco soon.

Unlike other European countries that I’ve lived and stayed in for long periods of time ranging from the UK to Poland, everyone was extremely rude, dramatic and pushy even though we gained our directional bearing with the public & public transit quickly. Ever seen the father from Everyone loves Raymond or any other cliche Italian family drama movie? Well that's an understatement for Rome... as soon as we took the train from the Da Vinci Airport to Trasaverte we witnessed people up in arms about this and that.

Let's not forget that the climate felt like La Paz on a hot August morning. I did my homework on climate and came to the understanding that Mediterranean weather is very similar to our weather seeing how we both produce a lot of wine grapes. I figured it would be a dry 85-90 degrees and everything would be peachy. Instead, I found myself hand washing sweat soaked articles of clothing in the bathtub of our room as I suffered from a serious jungle butt (sorry for the over share but I want you to make a wise decision before traveling).

The people and countrymen remind me a lot of Greece. They preach about their ancient philosophy and architecture when they couldn't sling a mud fence today. They go on about their 15th century paintings and statues when they can't figure out which door on the public bus is the exit as they go back home for an afternoon nap.

Long story shorter... It's muggy and miserable during the latter summer months, everyone was a pain in the *** except for other tourists and they have no idea how valuable the Euro is so everything is extremely expensive down to the 4Euro cup of soda. If you plan a European tour I suggest 5 planned days at the very most to taste the great food, pistachio gelato & see the sights.

If you decide to take a longer trip to Italy be sure to venture out and see the country, make the very most of the trip (what my wife and I did) and go during the fall (what we didn’t do). Nonetheless, it’s good to be back in the good ole United States putting the smack-down on you guys.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:23 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Talking

Sounds like fun!

Welcome back beyotch

... wasnt the same without you (ques fruity Euro drama music)