Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Califonia bill to blur/censor images from Google Earth

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Califonia bill to blur/censor images from Google Earth

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/03/11/g...ef=mpstoryview

Really?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I think this bill has its uses. For instance in some government operational areas overseas they are blotted out. I think he is just trying to protect the people not hide anything. Alot of intel can be mapped out with a satellite photo avenues of approach/egress routes etc.... I have often thought myself that google earth was a very powerful tool and sometimes too much stuff is on there. my .02
Old 03-11-2009, 11:39 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Trying to censor vision? What's next?

I'm amazed at how consistently our government is able to find new and exciting ways to both **** me off and disappoint me.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Shayhan27
I think this bill has its uses. For instance in some government operational areas overseas they are blotted out. I think he is just trying to protect the people not hide anything. Alot of intel can be mapped out with a satellite photo avenues of approach/egress routes etc.... I have often thought myself that google earth was a very powerful tool and sometimes too much stuff is on there. my .02
I agree, but I know a lot of people are going to jump on the "oh my god they are trying to censor us!" bandwagon
Old 03-11-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I agree, but I know a lot of people are going to jump on the "oh my god they are trying to censor us!" bandwagon
Protecting our liberties is a bandwagon? Are you this adept at demeaning everything or just stuff that really matters?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Trying to censor vision? What's next?

I'm amazed at how consistently our government is able to find new and exciting ways to both **** me off and disappoint me.
If you are going to make an argument against censorship and "rights", make sure you have thought the situation through. Google maps heavily encroaches on privacy. HEAVILY. Since when does being able to peep on anyone's property mean FREEDOM. Freedom is for people to have the right to have their house censored from onlookers. It is all about privacy. I think the government is doing something smart here, FOR ONCE.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

Protecting our liberties is a bandwagon? Are you this adept at demeaning everything or just stuff that really matters?
Besides the "we should be allowed to see it just based on principle" argument, what do you have against this? If they went all China on us and blocked 99% of google, that'd be one thing. Do you need to see the details of government buildings?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
If you are going to make an argument against censorship and "rights", make sure you have thought the situation through. Google maps heavily encroaches on privacy. HEAVILY. Since when does being able to peep on anyone's property mean FREEDOM. Freedom is for people to have the right to have their house censored from onlookers. It is all about privacy. I think the government is doing something smart here, FOR ONCE.
I didn't say anything about "rights," first off. Secondly, Google maps doesn't peep into windows or through the cracks of your floorboards--it provides the same view afforded by an airplane flight, helipcopter, or even a lifted pickup truck.

The government went through a similar problem to this in the late '80s and early '90s with the advent of privately owned satellites that showed the location of places like Area 51. Yes, Area 51. It was revealed on the cover of Scientific American, and the government's response was to move it... to another location in Alaska... which was revealed again by privately owned satellites. So they moved it back.

My belief is that the government should not artifically retard or limit the progress of a society. If you believe differently, good for you--it doesn't mean either of us are right.

Besides the "we should be allowed to see it just based on principle" argument, what do you have against this? If they went all China on us and blocked 99% of google, that'd be one thing. Do you need to see the details of government buildings?
Yes, I do--here's an example:

The disclosure of a secret $310 million headquarters building for the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) provides a textbook example of how unnecessary secrecy blocks responsible oversight and ultimately damages the very activity which it is intended to protect.

Last edited by saqwarrior; 03-12-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9

Yes, I do--here's an example:
I like to believe that somehow this building, excursion, whatever you call it, is why I am alive today, speaking english, and able to ***** about the economiy and its current status. Perhaps this building had other SECRET functions and thats is why other disasters did not end up worse than they did, i.e. 9/11

I feel better knowing that some gigantic US freedom protecting gun hidden somewhere that will blow up some ****ed up anti-US thing tryign to kill me and my family, is not able to be found on the interwebs by some terroist, because google blurred that **** out...

I am sure google will use discretion in blurring images. My thoughts are anything within a certain distance of certain gov't buildings should be blurred

but, Joe Schmoe's house on 123 ABC Lane Probably doesnt need a blurring and google pry wont waste their time doing so.

If you wanna start a huge censorship march, go knock on Tipper Gore's front door...she started it
Old 03-13-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
If you wanna start a huge censorship march, go knock on Tipper Gore's front door...she started it
Censorship started well before there was even such a thing as Democrats or Republicans--both of which, given the chance, will censor anything so that they can appear pious.

And I'm very familiar with Tipper Gore's role in the PMRC; I watched Dee Snider on television when he testified against censorship at the Senate hearings along with John Denver and Frank Zappa.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:57 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
IMO, you should be able to request that google obscure images of your properly that are taken from a certain distance. my house on street view shows the plates on both my cars for example as well as the interior of my garage (door was up).

i should be able to ask them to obscure that.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by irrational x
IMO, you should be able to request that google obscure images of your properly that are taken from a certain distance. my house on street view shows the plates on both my cars for example as well as the interior of my garage (door was up).

i should be able to ask them to obscure that.
Definitely! It poses a security risk to citizens. Although, I think the bill only mentions government buildings, health care facilities, and places of worship. Maybe contact google and ask them to blur your property or file an invasion of privacy lawsuit.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Definitely! It poses a security risk to citizens. Although, I think the bill only mentions government buildings, health care facilities, and places of worship. Maybe contact google and ask them to blur your property or file an invasion of privacy lawsuit.
How does google earth do this?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
not google earth, streetview
Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
https://www.i-club.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=11

Or, "oh, look, theres an M3 in that driveway. And here's a quick getaway route."

The second scenario isn't impossible without streetview, but streetview makes it easier. You can scope out your target from the comfort of your living room.

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 03-13-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Califonia bill to blur/censor images from Google Earth