Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

CA and smog test equipment

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
CA and smog test equipment

This is a continuation of an OT discussion that started in the General forum.

Origami posted by Littleboyblue
I don't think that they will get AWD dynos. It will be way to expensive and shop owners would complain, because they were forced buying a $40k this two wheel drive dyno. Now that will be useless, because they will have to buy awd. I really don't think it will happen.
I think they balked at the cost of OBD-II compliant equipment and the 2WD chassis dyno but it didn't stop the state legislature from making it mandatory. I believe there is a lobbying effort on behalf of the equipment manufacturers and the current CA state fiscal crisis dictates how receptive they will be to an equipment change, regardless of who sits in the driver's seat at the State Capitol. I hope it doesn't happen.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 08-01-2004, 01:40 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
This is a continuation of an OT discussion that started in the General forum.

I think they balked at the cost of OBD-II compliant equipment and the 2WD chassis dyno but it didn't stop the state legislature from making it mandatory. I believe there is a lobbying effort on behalf of the equipment manufacturers and the current CA state fiscal crisis dictates how receptive they will be to an equipment change, regardless of who sits in the driver's seat at the State Capitol. I hope it doesn't happen.
[/size]
Lets say it does go through, I wondering if our cars will still pass smog?? Even stock, wrx's are close to being gross polluters. If we have to dyno I bet that we won't pass smog even stock.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:34 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by Littleboyblue
Lets say it does go through, I wondering if our cars will still pass smog?? Even stock, wrx's are close to being gross polluters. If we have to dyno I bet that we won't pass smog even stock.
You could be right. Even though our cars are supposed to pass smog in all 50 states according to EPA and CARB guidelines, no one to my knowledge has ever submitted to the AWD portion of the test because it is not required yet.

In our Owner's Manual, it says our cars meet LEV (Low Emissions Vehicle) standards for clean air. I thought this would mean that our cars were better than average as far as emissions were concerned. That would explain why Subaru of America installed three cats on the car.

When I checked the current EPA comparison guide to LEV, however, both the 2.0 and 2.5 liter Impreza models (the EPA doesn't specify WRX/STi/RS) were rated in the bottom half of the list for small cars. They don't seem to be exceptionally dirty vehicles when compared to full-size trucks, though. The EPA charts are confusing because they rate new vehicles both by manufacturer-supplied emissions output and by manufacturer-supplied fuel economy. Therefore, their rating system is somewhat confusing. Bigger cars like the Chevy Impala and the Corvette also achieved good emissions and mileage figures. Also, some of the charts are either large or their servers are slow (56k death).

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush