Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Bush evesdropping story... do Americans actually care?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 07:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
Does the media really think this is actually news to people? The NSA has been around since like 1949. Unless you're from Mars, you know what the NSA does....lol.

but they arent supposed to be dumping data from US civies on US soil, the law is pretty clear on that.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by lojasmo
No...but he implied that he was.

There was no need for the White House to obtain court approval. All President Nixon had to do was say that the tap was needed for "national security." The need for reform was clear.

Sound familliar? It should. Bush's actions leave tons of room for just this same kind of abuse.
But the possibility of abuse has nothing to do with this. Your open ended logic is completely useless. I have a cupboard full of liquor but it doesn't mean I'm getting hammered every night. We now know why Nixon was eavesdropping courtesy of leaks from a complex scandal whereas Bush's eavesdropping can only be speculated on by people such as yourself at this point.

Sure, why not compare Bush to Nixon? Seems plausible seeing how they’re both Republican, right? *sigh* It's a classic case of you and the NY Times trying to make wine out of vinegar, sand out of glass, and Vietnam out of Iraq.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:21 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
*sigh*

its all fine and dandy until you have the feds tapping your **** i suppose....
Why do I have anything to worry about in this case!? I am not affiliated with al Qadea!

Why must you guys clump everything together into a giant civil liberties gaggle-**** when there's nothing to suggest anything else? The man is eavesdropping on people that have strong connections to terrorists for the sake of national security, not the average joe.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:30 PM
VIP Member

last i checked you didnt have to be conencted with some nutso terror group to be followed around and tapped eric
Old 12-17-2005, 09:04 PM
VIP Member

Here's the thing that makes me laugh about you guys. You make it seem like CIA field agents and similar agents pray for a President that will utilize them or risk a having a boring desk job for the next 4 to 8yrs! Wouldn’t it be more likely that this has happened with every President since the invention of the microphone?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
"Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
This was taken from a 1755 quote from Ben Franklin quoting Cato's letters. This was in regards to the 2nd amendment. Further investigate this and what you will see is that the context was placed to allow malitia the ultimate protection of himself and his and land. The purpose of the amendment is to protect the citizen from the government, enemies foreign and domestic. Personally I could see how you could apply this to the situation, but in both contexts (Cato's Letters and Ben Franklin) it speaks of the right for citizens to arm themselves. This was the intention when placed in context.

Last edited by ipozestu; 12-17-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:04 PM

Car Info: Sline
"Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin
So instead of protecting ourselves, we should do nothing when attacked? Just sit back and let them destroy our beautiful nation? I think not, sorry, but I don't agree with Mr. Franklin, and think that citing the quote was quite tasteless.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:32 PM

Hardly tasteless, it makes a good point about what is happening.

Oh and to add some fire into this conversation... http://www.oldamericancentury.org/14pts.htm enjoy.

Last edited by Unregistered; 12-17-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:17 AM
VIP Member

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/12/17...id=146&tid=219

you should see what they do to "l33t h4x0rz"!!!1! hahaha

bet he wont be asking for that book any longer
Old 12-18-2005, 05:45 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by jvick125
So instead of protecting ourselves, we should do nothing when attacked? Just sit back and let them destroy our beautiful nation? I think not, sorry, but I don't agree with Mr. Franklin, and think that citing the quote was quite tasteless.
I never said we shouldn't protect ourselves.

You are creating a false dichotomy. we can protect ourselves, without allowing unlawful intrusion into our homes.

As I said before.

1) Frank violation of the fourth amendment
2) No proof that these activities are limited to terrorism suspects. I gave a good example of a law abiding citizen being targeted by Nixon in exactly the same way.
3) No proof that these activities have been effective in stopping terrorism.
4) If they had probable cause to believe these people were badguys, they should have had no problem obtaining a warrant, as required by the fourth amendment.

Last edited by lojasmo; 12-18-2005 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:09 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Unregistered
Hardly tasteless, it makes a good point about what is happening.

Oh and to add some fire into this conversation... http://www.oldamericancentury.org/14pts.htm enjoy.
I'm certain everthing on that site is legitimate. Ha HA . It would be like me quoting from Right Nation. Good try though.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:11 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Y'all make me giggle.
The gov't has been spying on us for years, in a round about way.
Remember a while back...10 years or so... when a story broke how various nations were helping each other out?

It went a little like this:
The US would monitor Canadian phone calls, while the Canucks would monitor US calls.
At the end of the day, the two sides would swap intel.
I remember that the US actually built a facility in Canada, staffed with both US & Canadian forces, for the sole purpose of spying on people in the US.

Australia and a few other nations were involved as well.

But a gov't that has carte blanche on spying on it's own people is a gov't that should be feared & ultimately destroyed, be it Democrat or Republican.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:22 AM
VIP Member

I never said we shouldn't protect ourselves.

You are creating a false dichotomy. we can protect ourselves, without allowing unlawful intrusion into our homes.

As I said before.

1) Frank violation of the fourth amendment
2) No proof that these activities are limited to terrorism suspects. I gave a good example of a law abiding citizen being targeted by Nixon in exactly the same way.
3) No proof that these activities have been effective in stopping terrorism.
4) If they had probable cause to believe these people were badguys, they should have had no problem obtaining a warrant, as required by the fourth amendment.
My point citing that quote and explaining where it came from is that once taken out of context it loses legitimacy. If we were talking about gun control and the second amendment, I'd say good find and wise words from a wise man quoting yet another wise man.

1. I have to agree that this does violate a portion of you 4th amendment rights, it
Is a portion I am willing to sacrifice?
2. Activities shouldn't be limited to terror suspects they should include, child
molesters, drug dealers, arms smugglers, illegal smugglers.
3. How old is this program? I recall so far at least 4 separate cases since 911
Possible terror suspects have been detained and or deported.
4. This day and age there is a seditious group on our soil called the ACLU. We need the ability to monitor individuals without superior consent. Otherwise forget about it.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:42 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
I still contend that nobody cares... I want to see some polls!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:06 AM
VIP Member

did you guys hear something?

Quick Reply: Bush evesdropping story... do Americans actually care?