Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Bush, Cheney comforted troops privately

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:03 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Bush, Cheney comforted troops privately

this actually brings a tear to my eye.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008...ops-privately/

its a large article, here is a small bit that I think sums it up rather nicely. As much as you want to hate the man, what he is doing he feels is right, and its a large burden to carry on his shoulders.

Mr. Bush, for instance, has sent personal letters to the families of every one of the more than 4,000 troops who have died in the two wars, an enormous personal effort that consumed hours of his time and escaped public notice. The task, along with meeting family members of troops killed in action, has been so wrenching - balancing the anger, grief and pride of families coping with the loss symbolized by a flag-draped coffin - that the president often leaned on his wife, Laura, for emotional support.

"I lean on the Almighty and Laura," Mr. Bush said in the interview. "She has been very reassuring, very calming."

Mr. Bush also has met privately with more than 500 families of troops killed in action and with more than 950 wounded veterans, according to White House spokesman Carlton Carroll. Many of those meetings were outside the presence of the news media at the White House or at private sessions during official travel stops, officials said.

The first lady said those private visits, many of which she also attended, took a heavy emotional toll, not just on the president, but on her as well.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:09 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
my ex gf had a brother that was KIA. The first army reserveist to die since WWII

her family met bush

i was wowed he did