Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

BFO I know....bear with me. Just developing a thought....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
BFO I know....bear with me. Just developing a thought....

Prison isn't rehabilitative. No duh, Pat. However, I just had a new perspective or paradigm occur to me after watching an arbitrary movie.

In the same vein of "the Allegory of the Cave", I was watching a Jet Li movie called Unleashed where the character was nearly catatonic while he had some sort of collar on, but when the collar was removed, he was 'unleashed'.

The contrast isn't between collar on and collar off. The story line uses the banal theme of how the beast is tamed when love is introduced. In the early part of the movie, he's a complete caged animal, then after gaining a family for a short period he is (of course) completely domesticated and well-socialized. Unfortunately, because of how evil his old master is, he's forced back into his old life of living in a cage, etc, etc....

Anyhow, the thought struck me as to how his imprisonment prior to his 'seeing the light' or learning the power of love that a family provides, was obviously not a tribulation upon his psyche...because he didn't have one. However, when he is reintroduced to imprisonment; after he developed the love for his new family, it's glaring how his imprisonment would now be acutely painful.

My [developing] thesis is that I believe the majority of inmates in our prisons are not sacrificing enough; their penalty, while seemingly harsh to socialized folk like you and I, doesn't hurt them. Their backgrounds aren't too dissimilar to imprisonment, so I'd imagine in many cases a sentence is many times a comeupance. At least now they are promised 3 hots and a cot. There are many there just like them to socialize with, where they may not have had that prior to sentencing.

I've been in jail overnight once, so I can't comment on prolongued incarceration, however, as a soldier I've experienced extreme deprivation. More than once, the thought has crossed my mind how the Army, at times, can be similar to being in jail. Maybe you're on an extended deployment or field problem, and you'd rather not be; but you have no say as to when you can go home. You know what I'm talking about. This feeling was never more focused as when I was 18, had no frame of reference for what Basic Training, or my first year or so with my unit would be like, and didn't particularly care for what I was doing or the Army for that matter. (Times, of course, have changed. )

Last thing I'll say is that the criminal justice system here in the USA will continue to not rehabilitate until it's universally refined to where not only does the punishment fit the crime (yeah, right) but that the punishment fits the criminal. Or at least until punishments at least become a little bit more strenuous....ala Joe Arpaio.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I agree. How do you suggest we accomplish this? A psychoanalysis of every inmate to insure the worse possible punishment? Although I believe the ends would eventually justify the means, a lot of people will never be willing to dish out the costs or be patient enough. Something like this would require a lot of funding I'd imagine. We're talking money for the psychoanalysis all the way to the cost in providing a unique environment for each prisoner, or at least one that closely matches their psyche.

I'd suggest an environment much like Pelican Bay for every facility except you'd get zero contact with other inmates. Don't allow them any social contact and you'll completely eliminate the superiority spotlight they crave. They wouldn't even know other prisoners existed in the same prison. I could keep going on with this for hours.

I think the key to crime prevention should lie in trying to rekindle the backbone of our prisons (as mentioned above) and judicial system. Although it wouldn't prevent crime from the truly desperate and mentally unstable, it would make a lot of people think twice. Think about the mockery our system has become for a second. When you think about our judicial & prison system compared to that of Singapore there's major differences that expose how ineffective our system has become.

I'm not saying we lock-up people because they dropped a gum wrapper on the floor. But what I am suggesting is more serious managerial-type stance. For example, when you work for pay in a particular establishment and deliver sub-par work, your boss may threaten employment or fire you on the spot. But if you continue to slack-off and your boss continuously does nothing, then you'll continue to take advantage of the system. I can relate this particular scenario to our ridiculous appeals and probation/correctional system.

Last edited by Salty; 02-19-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:44 PM
VIP Member

Well, to start, it's similar to me to how I hear about some corporations willingly instituting nap time and free health care and no smoking policies. Arguably, these revolutionary concepts could cost them big time initially, but fortunately someone on their board of directors is far-sighted and has convinced his associates how the initial cost will be far outweighed by long term savings.

I'm not talking about torture. I'm just saying that extreme deprivation and maybe even humiliation, without violating human rights, is worth investigating.

For whatever reason, I've been pondering this about my own self lately. Personally, there are a lot of laws and social mores that I don't really understand or embrace. The speed limit is an obvious one. I've been known to break vehicle registration laws a time or two. (I won't get much more in-depth than that. Ha.) However, most laws, whether I agree or disagree with them, carry too high of a penalty for me to even consider breaking them; even when the potential for getting caught is negligible. I'd consider myself to be one who isn't in prison, for large part because I'd rather follow laws I don't agree with than suffer through detention and possible rape. I'm not a little guy and I'm pretty confident with my hands, but strength and being a badass alone won't save ones butthole if 10-12 dudes think you're pretty.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:43 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gpatmac
I'm not talking about torture. I'm just saying that extreme deprivation and maybe even humiliation, without violating human rights, is worth investigating.
Absolutely.

For whatever reason, I've been pondering this about my own self lately. Personally, there are a lot of laws and social mores that I don't really understand or embrace. The speed limit is an obvious one. I've been known to break vehicle registration laws a time or two. (I won't get much more in-depth than that. Ha.) However, most laws, whether I agree or disagree with them, carry too high of a penalty for me to even consider breaking them; even when the potential for getting caught is negligible. I'd consider myself to be one who isn't in prison, for large part because I'd rather follow laws I don't agree with than suffer through detention and possible rape. I'm not a little guy and I'm pretty confident with my hands, but strength and being a badass alone won't save ones butthole if 10-12 dudes think you're pretty.
That's part of my point with the work/management analogy.

Not to get too off topic here but I've always wondered if criminals that go out of their way to break the law have homosexual tendencies? I can see me going to jail for murder if someone raped/killed my wife or daughter, but I would never cross the line on laws that carry high penalties for less significant reason(s).

There are a lot of people out there that are continuously warned by peers, friends, and family on how their actions will eventually lead to the slammer. When exactly does the possibility of getting *** raped fall into the equation, if at all? And if you're confident that you'll rise to the top of the social ladder in prison, then are you the pitcher by nature? How can you be so sure that you won't the be catcher should you not rise to the top? Is this a chance you're willing to take?

Sleep deprivation and humiliation aside, the though of being bebe's b!tch is the FIRST thought that keeps me from acting out with my potentially hot temper. Maybe this is proof that ignorance will always cancel out a judicial system that’s taken seriously?

Last edited by Salty; 02-19-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Wow!!! That's a really inciteful opinion Pat. I've definetly thought of the Army as a sort of "imprisonment" before. That being said however, one could infer because soldiers seem to be more apt to experience sacrifice which is obviously internally mitigated by personal motive. I know that if I am to die for my country others will benefit indirectly from it. Having said that you would have to instill a set of morals within the prisoners as dictated by the norms of society which obviously hasn't been done. Doing that would be considered "rehabilitation". I guess we should start an ethics forum now.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:53 PM
VIP Member

You know, something Salty said brings a thought to mind.

Proof that I'm not a sociopath (or a homo) lies in the fact that I'm not breaking laws, at least not grievously. However, I've always wondered about the thoughts I have. No different than many of y'all probably, but like sometimes wishing I had a James Bond-esque license so that I could be the judge/jury/executioner. Most of the folks who are in these fantasies really deserve to be beaten and terrorized, but though I judge I do realize I can't sentence.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:56 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Wow!!! That's a really inciteful opinion Pat. I've definetly thought of the Army as a sort of "imprisonment" before. That being said however, one could infer because soldiers seem to be more apt to experience sacrifice which is obviously internally mitigated by personal motive. I know that if I am to die for my country others will benefit indirectly from it. Having said that you would have to instill a set of morals within the prisoners as dictated by the norms of society which obviously hasn't been done. Doing that would be considered "rehabilitation". I guess we should start an ethics forum now.
All I will say about that is it's now very clear to me that enlistment in the Infantry and I were not compatible. I think I've told y'all about my brushes with the UCMJ.

Let's just say I've got a truly unique perspective when I have to punish my soldiers.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:16 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
All I will say about that is it's now very clear to me that enlistment in the Infantry and I were not compatible. I think I've told y'all about my brushes with the UCMJ.

Let's just say I've got a truly unique perspective when I have to punish my soldiers.
While nothing I did wrong resulted in me losing rank, I'm quite familiar with the M1A1 Floor Buffing Machine.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

My notables: enrolled in ADAD (now ADAPC) within 2 weeks of signing into my unit as a PV1 [humiliation], Summarized ART-15 for falling asleep on CQ (charge of quarters) [scared and humiliated me], Summary Court-Martialed for conspiracy to destroy gov't property (found innocent) [scared the CRAP out of me, however, I was only charged so I could be used by the prosecution], lastly, became the 'Tumbleweed Express' by my 1SG while training at Dona Ana Trng area, NM [Mega-humiliation]. I was throwing rocks at the guardshack while on duty and broke a window. My penalty was twice a day, before and after training, I had to get in a HUMV and pickup all of the tumbleweed that had blown into our camp.

Currently, though, I'm number 140 on the Major's promotion list. The sequence list should be published any day now.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:30 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
While nothing I did wrong resulted in me losing rank, I'm quite familiar with the M1A1 Floor Buffing Machine.
I did two things that could have resulted in an article 15 and reduction in rank. I was cherry private during both instances. One instance was pure entrapment by my squad leader. I was one week in the 82nd and went to chow while my squad leader and TL roommate locked my SAW in my room. I made sure my SAW was being watched by the assigned “weapons guard” in the hallway. Luckily my superiors gave me the option of getting a severe smoking or loss in rank. I chose the smoke session like an idiot.

One smoke session lasted 24 hours while my superior was on CQ which still haunts my dreams, and the other lasted a consistent 100+ days (long story - and I mean a consistent 100+ days). I eventually became a TL and Squad Leader when those *******s left. I was untouchable at that point as I was the battalion and company long-timer. :P

I never understood the “Theory X” authoritarian style of leadership many people in the Army seemed to adopt. Even though I occasionally lost my temper and smoked a mother****er, my teams and squads were squared away on all levels. We even got a long with eachother like brothers.

Geez I can really get off topic...

Last edited by Salty; 02-20-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:40 AM
VIP Member

I would imagine we've already alienated our non-military friends, but what you're talking about isn't OT. Crime and punishment.

We've all broken the law in some form or other. And 1Regu is right, too, that we could start another thread on personal ethics.

You know I said I'm getting promoted shortly to Major. That's a guy whom I equate to the principles and other stuffed shirts in my life. You've got to understand that though I'm a 36 y/o captain promotable, I'm still looking through the same eyes I did when I was a SPC. I still have a hard time trusting officers. That said, what has changed from when I was a SPC and would have a very quick decision-making process before I'd get in my Camaro, drunk as hell, and drive 120mph down the 880 at 4am? Or, before I'd smash some guy in the face for trying to say my quarters which were next in line on the pool table were his? Or, before I'd agree to 'fit in' with my buds and take the next hit off of the coke can bong? Did I suddenly accept christ and become a goody-two-shoes? Nope.

I don't even know the answer, to be honest? Maybe it's because I've got more to lose now. Maybe it's just the natural maturation process (although, you know there are many who're older than me who are still finding it easy to break the law.) Maybe the punishments I've received over the years have influenced me positively. All I know is that in my head, my ethics haven't really changed. I just have a lot more factors that go into my decision-making process.

In recruiting, my when my current 1SG was coming on board, he was death on recruiting ethics. His message to the soldiers was "it's not worth it" and "I won't support you if you put yourself in jeopardy by 'going into the gray'." I told him that I may find it difficult to espouse that message to the soldiers because where I come from, NCO's who are given a mission 'get **it done' so long as they are safe and don't impetuously hurt anyone. Now, I see where he's coming from, but it's clear to me that it isn't an ethical message; it's a pragmatic one.

So, since most folks, both well-socialize or crude and sociopathic, make their personal decisions based not so much on ethics, what's right or wrong, but by the degree of pragmatism that it suits for them; less time should be spent by the justice institution on teaching ethics and more time ensuring that inmates are made aware that the ramifications for their crime is definitely not worth it. [phew! That was one sentence]
Old 02-21-2006, 11:32 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
You know, something Salty said brings a thought to mind.

Proof that I'm not a sociopath (or a homo) lies in the fact that I'm not breaking laws, at least not grievously. However, I've always wondered about the thoughts I have. No different than many of y'all probably, but like sometimes wishing I had a James Bond-esque license so that I could be the judge/jury/executioner. Most of the folks who are in these fantasies really deserve to be beaten and terrorized, but though I judge I do realize I can't sentence.

Are you saying that disagreing with what our country has decided is legal or illegal somehow makes you a sociopath or homo? Wow...

I think laws reflect more on the sociopathys and deep rooted paranoias of the people who make them more than on the people who break them...
Old 02-21-2006, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MVWRX
Are you saying that disagreing with what our country has decided is legal or illegal somehow makes you a sociopath or homo? Wow...

I think laws reflect more on the sociopathys and deep rooted paranoias of the people who make them more than on the people who break them...
Statement #1. I don't know. You lost me.
Statement #2. Wow, that is deep. I'd never thought about it like that, but it certainly would go a long way to explain things.

Like, I wonder what would happen if you were to test Charlie Manson vs. a random sample of regular folk, hook them up to one of those fancy things you see on tv to measure brain waves (EKG? I don't know), and then have them watch assorted movies; from scary to gory to terrorizing to snuff. I'd be curious to read the results.

Man, your second statement is pretty intuitive. Is it original?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:49 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
It's original to me, but I'm sure there are phychiatrists who have had the idea before.

In the Manson example, he obviously had his own brain troubles. I was more refering to things like drug laws, sex laws, and laws of public conduct. If you get sexual pleasure out of killing, it certainly reflects more on the killer than the person who said killing should be illegal...
Old 02-21-2006, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MVWRX
My point was that it makes me wonder if people have homosexual tendencies based on their illegal action(s) that deserve prison time (except illegal acts that cannot be avoided, illegal acts you were convicted for but never did, or illegal acts associated with revenge, etc). You can disagree with any law all day long and never been in violation. In that case it wouldn't suggest homosexual tendencies. It’s just an assumption i’ve always had...

Last edited by Salty; 02-21-2006 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: BFO I know....bear with me. Just developing a thought....