Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

AmEmbassy stormed in Damascus

Old 09-12-2006, 06:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
AmEmbassy stormed in Damascus

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2006/0...n-syria-attack

I'm actually surprised that we hadn't abandoned it way before now.

Just to think, back in '04 when I was in Afghanistan, I was minutes away from getting on a helicopter to go work at the AmEm in Islamabad, Pak. Unless you work in an embassy in Afghanistan or Iraq, there are no supporting troops within hundreds of miles for support, except of course for the Marine guards. Nothing against the Marine, but the USMC palace guards are awfully light in numbers for my tastes.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:18 AM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
I was watching CNN as this was unfolding... wonder where it came from. Seems like someone would have done something more viscious, because that attack was just plan stupid.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Here's what my old friend Mr Friedman has to say:
Originally Posted by Stratfor
The U.S. embassy in Damascus is reported to have come under attack, with reports of heavy gunfire and loud explosions. Security forces have sealed off the Rawda area, which houses other embassies, security installations and senior officials' residences.

The attack was most likely carried out by an al Qaeda-linked cell in Lebanon. Al Qaeda has steadily increased its presence in the Levant in the past several months. Syrian security forces have engaged in shootouts with alleged jihadists in the capital city since the Feb. 14 assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik al Hairi. Though these shootouts were largely political in nature, designed to facilitate a dialogue between Washington and Damascus, jihadists have a real incentive to stage attacks in the Levant and target the regime that has offered cooperation to U.S. forces in Iraq against al Qaeda. In the wake of the Lebanon war, a strong need arose in al Qaeda to challenge it's Shiite rival, Hezbollah, for regional fame.

Search this Thread