Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

wrx chassis vs sti chassis

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 07:08 PM

wrx chassis vs sti chassis

wanted to know if the chassis is the same. or did they do chassis improvements to the sti one. ie better welds more sub frame reineforcement welds. or is it the same.

Carlo
Old 05-06-2005, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
Not the same.

does anyone know what improvements they have made to the sti chassis?

carlo
Old 05-06-2005, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Good question. I used to think that the only mods were bolt-on suspension pieces, lightweight back window glass, etc., but Ralliart modifies the production Lancer with additional gussets and welds to the factory tack welds on the chassis before it can be called an Evo(lution). I wonder if the STi has some full-length welds or gusseting to stiffen the chassis. It would serve to further reduce chassis flex and make the suspension and steering work even better. Prodrive does extensive mods to their WRC cars even before the roll cage is put in.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 05-06-2005, 09:28 AM

Car Info: GDA
so noone knows the difference(s) b/t these two chassis?
Old 05-18-2005, 09:44 AM

got reponse from SOA

Hello Mr. Apalis:

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you and appreciate your
patience. I have been advised by our Technical Services Department that the
chassis and the frame for all of the 2005 Impreza models, including the WRX
and WRX STi models, are the same.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future
assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.

looks like the chassis is the same. so you can buy all the sti parts to make your wrx a STI.

Carlo
Old 05-20-2005, 05:30 AM

Car Info: 2004 jbp wrx
yea that ^^^

i think the outback has the same chassis as well... or the forester... one of the two.

chile
Old 05-21-2005, 03:19 PM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
from what i understand the sti is about 200lbs worth stiffer because that is the amount of extra metal it has over a wrx and yes i know it isnt 200lbs heavier because the few light weight parts it has but yes it is much much stiffer

if i cant find the link but there a crash involving a sti in canada back in early 04 and it hit a jeep at 100+ mph and shot the jeeps axle a hundred feet and sending the rest of the jeep spining into a parked civic prety hard and you would think the sti would have looked like a little ball and the person driving would have gone to the hospital but the car had the front messed up good and a little of the door but the frame looked straight and the kid driving was arrested
Old 05-21-2005, 09:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
Originally Posted by Kay95
from what i understand the sti is about 200lbs worth stiffer because that is the amount of extra metal it has over a wrx and yes i know it isnt 200lbs heavier because the few light weight parts it has but yes it is much much stiffer
if you stripped a wrx and a sti down to the bare frame&body, you would probably get the same stiffness out of the two. The added stiffness from the sti is not from any extra metal in the frame but in the different suspension components.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:29 AM

Car Info: 95 Impreza coup, green, 5speed 1.8l awd
i remember reading about the added metal to the frame that is welded to it and 200lbs worth of suspension extra i dont think the suspension upgrade added much weight because a inverted strut compared to a noninverted strut weights about the same i know because i weighted my V5 vs my L strut and the inverted was only 4lbs heavier

and take into account the the sti has alot of lw components already and is still that much heavier than a WRX
Old 05-31-2005, 02:47 PM

Car Info: subaru wrx aspen white
Originally Posted by Kay95
i remember reading about the added metal to the frame that is welded to it and 200lbs worth of suspension extra i dont think the suspension upgrade added much weight because a inverted strut compared to a noninverted strut weights about the same i know because i weighted my V5 vs my L strut and the inverted was only 4lbs heavier

and take into account the the sti has alot of lw components already and is still that much heavier than a WRX
the extra 200 lbs comes from the 6speed tranny, the bigger rear diff and the brembos mostly
Old 05-31-2005, 04:13 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonkey
looks like the chassis is the same. so you can buy all the sti parts to make your wrx a STI.

Carlo
Thank you for going about and acquiring the info, Carlo. I've always wondered this, too. Thanks for clearing it up!