Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

wrx break conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 01:11 PM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
wrx break conversion

I noticed that with the exception of the break mounting flanges the front shocks from a gc8 are the same as a wrx.
I also noticed that a fiew gc8 guys are using wrx alum. a arms.
this leads me to believe that the front suspension between the two are very simmular...
are they simmular enough to swap out my RS front disks to bigger wrx ones?
What all would I need for this?
would it just be a case of wrx rotors, calapers and hangers?
or would I need to go mondo indepth with it.
wrx knuckles, rotors, hangers, calapers, and master cylinder?
Old 03-23-2006, 01:19 PM

Car Info: 00 RS
No you cant. And no they are not the same.

I hear they make a separate caliper mounting thing some place. I havn't been able to find it. The top mounts are different for sure, but house this plays into the brakes, I don't know.

Mitch
www.cp-racing.com
Old 04-04-2006, 05:29 PM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza 2.5RS
I put WRX brakes on a 2.5RS '03 though. I heard that brakes mount the same on earlier ones too. You will need the caliper support brackets, rotors and pads out of a WRX. Be ware of the year in 7/2002 the front brake design was changed. I think the '02 and prior brackets will work. On my car I ended up trading '03 calipers for '02 ones to make it fit.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:17 PM

It's a simple swap (for the fronts) that you can do two ways:

1) keep your RS calipers, and obtain WRX caliper mounting brackets and WRX rotors. Take the wheels, calipers, and rotors off your car; disassemble your RS calipers from the brackets, put them onto the WRX brackets. Mount the WRX rotors on your car, then put the calipers onto the WRX rotors.

2) pick up some used WRX calipers/brackets and rotors. Take off your RS bits, and put on the WRX calipers and rotors as above.

WRX calipers/brackets and rotors should run about $150 for low-miles takeoffs. Rotors are really easy to find, I have some if you need (expensive to ship, though). The brackets only are hard to come by, if you're trying to do #1 above, because it means a WRX guy has to disassemble his calipers/brackets and sell you just the brackets. So look for WRX calipers and rotors, and go for it! You won't need to change your master cylinder, but you could upgrade to SS lines if you wanted.

Nasioc and scoobymods have several threads for doing the WRX brake conversion. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2006, 01:58 PM

Car Info: 00 RS
I meant you can't just slap them on.