Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Wagon-Specific Lateral Links

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 10:48 AM

Car Info: 1999 Impreza L wagon
Question Wagon-Specific Lateral Links

I am wondering why my wagon (GF8, USDM 1999 Impreza L wagon) has a square-profile forward lateral links on the rear suspension, which appear to be made from stamped, or bent sheet steel.

I bought a used pair of forward links from a RS 2.5, which has a round-tubular, welded forward lateral link. The rear lateral links on my wagon appear to be the same tubular, welded style as those on the RS and other models.

I looked under a USDM 2002/2003 WRX wagon in a parking lot recently, and saw that it had the same "square, stamped" forward lateral links as my '99 wagon, so it appears this design is still in production?

Does anyone know why the wagon's forward links made differently? Is this because
they are more heavy-duty? I have looked around here and NASIOC, but can not find anything definitive.

If anyone knows why these links are different and can give me some facts about them, I'd appreciate it.

chrx