Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

terrible metal on metal sound??!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 11:15 PM

Car Info: ATR Catback, HKS Downpipe, Injen CAI, 17x7.5 Rota Subzeros/Falken Azenis, Tein HA's, Apexi-SAFC,
Exclamation terrible metal on metal sound??!!

my 02 wrx was just driven for the first time in 5 months after my accident. car is put back together and runs hard. but... the brakes were weak and making terrible metal on metal noise. I upgraded to EBC greenstuffs and goodridge lines and the noise is still there. even when I am driving and not braking the noise is there. also smells like metal on metal like a pipe cutter. the rotors have slight grooving through out but I dont konw what the deal is. BTW when I do jam the breaks it slows down but there is no "bite" and the braking is less then impressive, my old GT performer stopped better; thanks everyone
Old 08-13-2004, 12:31 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I would take it to a dealer ASAP. Something is VERY wrong and you don't want to mess around with poorly working brakes.

I would guess that you have an improperly mounted caliper and it's misaligned with the rotor, but that's just a WAG.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:09 AM

Car Info: ATR Catback, HKS Downpipe, Injen CAI, 17x7.5 Rota Subzeros/Falken Azenis, Tein HA's, Apexi-SAFC,
I am going to take it today. and have the rotors cut before I take it to get reamed at subaru. thanks dude
Old 08-14-2004, 12:40 AM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by NJ Dino
I am going to take it today. and have the rotors cut before I take it to get reamed at subaru. thanks dude
At least have a brake shop look at it for their diagnostic fee if you don't wish to risk subaru.