Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Tein type HG: opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
Tein type HG: opinions wanted

Hey folks,

I've been reading a bit about the Tein Type HG coilovers for a while now, and they seem like an alternative to the DMS 50m coilovers I'nm currently using. Does anybody have opinions (good or bad) about these?

thanks,

Neil
Old 10-14-2003, 09:58 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sedan
TEIN HG, from what I have heard, are a reliable option for off-roading... but I havent seen any hardcore rally use out of em. (and seeing that they only allow for stock/ slightly higher than stock height says they arent that hardcore) Most users of the TEIN HG's stick to tarmac and daily driving... so I have no actual rally feedback on em. I spoke to Akaba-san and he told me that these did not have overly large dampers, but they are simply valved correctly... so that further leads me to believe that these arent for heavy rally use.

DMS 50's are more widely used for rallying... at the SCCA Club and Pro level. Not sure what height these allow to lift the car to, but I'm sure its pretty good. They also have a "JUMBO" one for even more hardcore use at 60mm.

Another option is Proflex, which is probably the best option. Even the entry level one allows for 4" of lift. Then you can go "GroupN" or even the 70mm dampers. (which is the biggest I have heard of) This is available through INTRAX (www.intraxsuspension.com) or Rhys Millen Racing. (www.rmrproducts.com) Rhys Millen has the Proflex 70mm dampers on his open class rally car.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:04 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
one of my BAIC brothas named rob who goes by stratos on the boards has the HGs and freaking loves them. he says that they perform almost as well as the FLT-A2 on the track, and that they soak up big hits on gravel roads well to boot. sounds like a REALLY good daily driver, track, and off-road combo setup. very versatile.if you do a search on BAIC, and suspension forums both here and on nasioc, you will find a good review by stratos.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:42 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
I will eventually install these when I get my new STi in a year.

Based on conversations with Stratos, and the fact that I like to drive on tarmac, sometimes on dirt & gravel, and that I don't want to lower my car, these sound like the right choice for me.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
Stratos told me that his JIC's were getting beat-up and the shafts were all scuffed, poor dust covers or none included.

I think he's much happier with his HG's, actually...