Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Specific wagon setup, opinions needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
Specific wagon setup, opinions needed!!

Hey everyone,
I know of many good suspension setups already exist for WRX wagons however I'm reallllly on a budget and I just cant afford a full coilover/Front and rear sway/strut setup. That said I just put new springs on my 05 wagon and I'm looking where to go next... I know alot of people say a good quality single RSB is a good idea and I'll probably go that route SO..

I found a deal for a rear 29mm sway bar(i believe its whiteline from the picture or a knockoff) along with a front greddy strut bar. My question lies mainly with the fact that its 29mm... a chunky s.o.b, and if its just too big/stiff for the wagon. It is adjustable however and I had the idea that maybe with the front strut/rear sway combo(rear sway being set to its weakest setting) it might just balance out nicely and give the car a pretty planted feel, remember the car also has springs.

ALL that said please give me some opinions/thoughts on the idea, it would be a huge $$ saver for me and hopefully a decent suspension setup. THANKS!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
29mm rsb is rediculously huge. lol

What springs, what struts?
Also what are you looking for out of your setup.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 PM

yup no matter what 29mm sounded huge to me, springs are just OEM since i wanted it a little lowered, the strut I would be getting is a greddy
overall I'd just like the handles to be better/for it to be more planted in the corners but still an easy dailyD, I have plans for a tune as well so more power will also accompany it in the future
Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 PM

wait, wtf? greddy struts? Never heard of. Anyways I'd say drive other forum members cars, and see how you like their setup. then you'll know what you want best. but best daily driving setup is stock.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 PM

yeah its a greddy front strut he sent me the pics too so i know its legit, i would love to drive with some! but im unfortunately somewhat new here, 10th post is gonna be big news
Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 PM

Don't take this the wrong way. But read through here and nasioc, and look at the different suspension setups. Go out to the meets, ask around. Do as much research on what you're really looking for, then find the people in your area that have the same or similar setup.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Are you talking about a front strut tower bar? A strut tower bar will not make a considerable difference like a sway bar and definitely will not offset a huge rear sway bar like that. Even on the softest setting it will be stiffer than most other bars out there on full stiff and you will go from understeer to instant oversteer without an upgraded front sway bar also. It will also likely rip out the stock mounts so if it doesn't include upgraded mounts, you'd better plan on buying some upgraded ones.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:31 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
There is a huge thread on wagon suspension on nasioc and TONS of information.

As for your car. I'm not sure what springs you're on and if you're still on stock struts so it's hard to say.

But I will say this... DO NOT GET A 29mm rear sway bar. The only way that's reasonable is if it's hollow and you have a big dog for the front, endlinks and heavy duty mounts. Not to mention stiff springs because you can overpower your car with sway bars.

And you don't need to waste money on a front strut bar at this point. Our cars are pretty stiff. It's not a honda. Especially in the front. Strut bars come after sways and endlinks in my opinion. After a lot of other suspension goodies.

My advice... if you're on stock struts with just springs and on a budget...
Pick up a sedan rear sway bar. You can get them free or for less than $50. Get used to driving with that. It makes a HUGE difference over the crap on your wagon now.

Once you get used to that and save up some coin I'd go with...
1. Heavy duty rear sway mount and rear endlinks. You'll need them both when you go to larger sways.
2. HD front endlinks.
3. HD front and rear sway bars.

Then I'd start looking at bushings.

Once you got all that sorted I'd invest in a nice matched spring/strut combo or coil overs if you so choose.

Don't get caught up in the pretty stuff. Get function. And don't think you need to be slammed to handle well and end up buying some cheap *** coil overs. Once you get to a point you want coil overs get good ones or don't bother.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:32 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

For 03 and up the sedan and wagon use the same rear bar - 17mm. The 02 apparently had a 20mm rear, so this would be the one to get. My buddy told me this a few years ago because he has the 20mm on his GF.

We just bought a cheap GF ('97) and it came with 13mm RSB I swapped in the whole setup from mine onto it (mounts and all because they aren't the same, same mounting points though). That 17mm made a noticeable difference on that car, just like the 22mm Perrin made a big difference on mine.

Last edited by 04GG; 08-04-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 04GG
For 03 and up the sedan and wagon use the same rear bar - 17mm. The 02 apparently had a 20mm rear, so this would be the one to get. My buddy told me this a few years ago because he has the 20mm on his GF.

We just bought a cheap GF ('97) and it came with 13mm RSB I swapped in the whole setup from mine onto it (mounts and all because they aren't the same, same mounting points though). That 17mm made a noticeable difference on that car, just like the 22mm Perrin made a big difference on mine.
True. The front on the wagon is 20mm. So if you go with a 20mm rear it's a nice upgrade from the 17mm and it's way cheap. Or go with like a 21mm cusco or a 22-24 adjustable whiteline.

Anything larger and I'd recommend doing the fronts too.

In 04 they swapped to the beefer rear sway mounts. I replaced mine with whiteline and gave my stock ones to my buddy with a bugeye wagon. The bugeye rear sway mounts are crap.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Car Info: 05 PSM Wagon
So I can steal my brother's 06 sedan stock rear swaybar and it's an upgrade on my 05 wagon?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:36 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by mikev
So I can steal my brother's 06 sedan stock rear swaybar and it's an upgrade on my 05 wagon?
No, they are the exactly the same thing. You need one from an '02.

True. The front on the wagon is 20mm. So if you go with a 20mm rear it's a nice upgrade from the 17mm and it's way cheap. Or go with like a 21mm cusco or a 22-24 adjustable whiteline.
I went with Perrin over Whiteline for one reason only - I like the design of the Perrin mounts better than the Whiteline ones, and I bought the Perrin as a package: mounts, bar and endlinks, and got it on sale, so it was actually cheaper than the Whiteline. You can't go wrong with Whiteline either though; great stuff. I have the Perrin front endlinks on already; just waiting for some time to swap in the front bar also.

Last edited by 04GG; 08-05-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:41 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by 04GG
No, they are the exactly the same thing. You need one from an '02.
Werd. Or pick up an aftermarket. Cusco has a 21mm solid that's a perfect matchup with the stock front.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:11 PM

Thanks a ton for the replies guys, lots of useful info. I decided to upgrade just my rear sway to a 22mm adj. whiteline... gonna see how it feels/decide if new endlinks will be necessary(or a whole new front bar) especially after learning the front is 20mm stock, i thought it was 17mm for all of them!

ill let you know when i get the rear bar on
Old 08-10-2011, 08:22 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Endlinks and mounts are pretty much a must for a 22mm bar IMO. It sort of defeats the purpose of upgrading the bar if you leave the stock plastic endlinks on there.

Name:  2010-10-30_12-57-21_402.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  86.3 KB

Name:  2010-10-30_12-07-53_784.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  72.9 KB

Quick Reply: Specific wagon setup, opinions needed!!