Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Rotors and pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 05:23 PM

Rotors and pads

I am thinking about changing up the rotors and pads on my car for christmas. Unfortunatly i cant afford new calipers. I was thinking about the stoptechs. What do you guys recommend as far as what kind of rotors and pads? I also thinking about getting them from gruppe-s. Do you guys have any other suggestions for a vendor?

Also, i might only do the fronts first, should i wait to do all four rotors or is doing the fronts first a good idea? thanks
Old 12-19-2003, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
If you haven't changed the brake lines yet I'd recommend putting some SS lines in first. Best $90 I've spent on my car.

If you can only do one pair of rotos at a time, do the front first. They get the hottest. Front/rear/all-4 doesnt matter since this doesn't at all impact bias, just efficiency.

FYI - there are studies that claim slotted/drilled are a waste of money. My personal take is its not as big a benefit as many believe. Its quite the visual modification so lots of people will do it first over say putting in SS lines. For me, slotted/drilled rotors would be the last thing I do. I believe it ups efficiency (in terms of heat dispersion) but not to a degree that matches the cost of new rotors. Were I to change rotors, it would be for strength and durability.

jason
Old 12-20-2003, 07:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 White GDB
change your fluid to a higher dot at the sametime you install some lines
Old 12-20-2003, 07:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
MPJ is a great vendor. Very knowledgeable. I like porterfield pads. Definitely do the SS lines first. Messy, but very effective. It's also a good time to change out your fluid (you really need to. I know it ) as mentioned before. Superblue is a good fluid, as is Motul RBF 600. Otherwise, some decent DOT 5 or 5.1 stuff is better than what's in there from the factory.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:56 AM

i have about 12,500 miles on my car, you think its ready for a brake fluid change?
Old 12-21-2003, 10:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
Originally posted by jhong567
i have about 12,500 miles on my car, you think its ready for a brake fluid change?
It's not so much that you'll need a brake fluid change at your milages, but you'll reap some benefits from changing your brake fluid to a motorsports-spec (I use ATE super blue). Also, it's a perfect opportunity to change the fluid when you're in there getting stainless braided brake lines (which are a fantastic mod, imho).

As far as getting the parts and getting them installed, MPJ are definately the folks to call.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Re: rotora, brembo, dba?

Originally posted by sfjohnson
And I got hit with a $800 price tag for install of OEM Subaru rotors and pads... I'll be dipped if I'm shelling that kind of dough from my grad student stipend to stay stock...
You've got to be kidding me. You can get rotors for less than $200 and pads for less than $80. That's OEM prices. Your dealership (or service place) is trying to screw you. Don't go to them again. Go to an online vendor (I bought my DBA rotors from MPJ) for $200 and you can get good pads from subydude or gruppe-s. A brake job is not a seriously difficult task, labor-wise. Me (not a wrench turner) anda buddy did it in less than 2 hours. Just make sure you have WD-40 on hand.

Oh yeah, tell your friends not to go to the butt-monkeys that quoted you the above price.
-Etch
Old 01-02-2004, 07:27 PM
DrD

Car Info: 2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L

And I got hit with a $800 price tag for install of OEM Subaru rotors and pads...
That's insane! What are they charging per hour for labor? I can't imagine they ding you for more than an hour each axle set - if you are replacing the pads and rotors (turning the rotors would add time) - it's a pretty trivial/easy job to do (you might seriously consider doing it yourself - most schools have an auto club with people and facilities to help you get this done)! Your rears might not even need replacing... you can get parts for all 4 wheels (4 new rotors and a front and rear set of pads) for $392 shipped from www.subaruparts.com - throw in some brake cleaner and new fluid and you can do the whole job for under $450... (retail on the parts is $450 - so the shop is charging you $350 to install them - ouch!)
Old 01-03-2004, 09:11 PM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3

[B]Any folks tried Rotora pads? How are they vs. Brembo or dba?
i have tried the full rotora set up (includes calipers, rotors, and pads), but i have not tried the pads alone.
they seem to work fine on the track so far
Old 01-04-2004, 11:10 AM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Stock subaru rotors are really good....
Best cost benifit is SS lines, good fluid(I like the Motul) and good pads....Axxis Ultimates are good cheap(both axles can be had for ~$125) pads that dust pretty bad, but work well on the street.
Remember, a GOOD set of pads just for the front will cost ~$100+ and the rears as much or more in some cases:O
Old 01-04-2004, 11:45 AM

Car Info: 1986 Supra
I love Carbotech brake pads. The improvement in stopping power is amazing. They will wear out your rotors quickly though. Oh well, it's completely worth buying new rotors every once in a while.