Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Raceland coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:54 PM

Raceland coilovers

I have heard good and plenty of bad about race land coilovers. I have a stage 2 03 wrx and don't drive my car too hard not much off road driving. Plan on a couple trips up to Tahoe in the snow and what not but basic daily driving. I found some of these used for pretty cheap and wondering if it worth it or to not even waste my money. I want to get rid of my wheel gap but not looking to slam it. Also I don't care too much about handling (meaning I'm not expecting for top of the line from them more for the look)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
People who buy Racelands are automatically excluded from giving a qualified, informed opinion as anyone who does have a good enough background to give a judgement with a depth beyond "Mah coils r JDM mad tight yo" knows that for $400-500 you can't can't expect a coilover worth it's weight in dirt.

Springs will be cheaper, more reliable, perform better, and ride better while giving you what you want. I think that's the direction you should be looking.

Last edited by Brfatal; 11-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
People who buy Racelands are automatically excluded from giving a qualified, informed opinion as anyone who does have a good enough background to give a judgement with a depth beyond "Mah Racelands R JDM mad tight yo" knows that for $400-500 you can't can't expect a coilover worth it's weight in dirt.
Yeah exactly. And I'm not expecting great handling. But for daily use on streets what's your opinion?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Technical Know-It-All

See my ninja edit. I would not expect them to last a year from new. You said you were looking at used. And you're expecting winter durability and I'm assuming ride comfort considering you're not slamming and not concerned with handling (the latter being a coilover disqualifier on it's own), so coilovers in general would be a poor choice/bad investment.

Last edited by Brfatal; 11-08-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
tokico d-specs, group n strut top mounts and rce yellows or blacks. Order from TurnInconcepts.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by flat489
tokico d-specs, group n strut top mounts and rce yellows or blacks. Order from TurnInconcepts.
Thanks il look into that

Originally Posted by Brfatal
See my ninja edit. I would not expect them to last a year from new. You said you were looking at used. And you're expecting winter durability and I'm assuming ride comfort considering you're not slamming and not concerned with handling (the latter being a coilover disqualifier on it's own), so coilovers in general would be a poor choice/bad investment.
True. I just found what seems to be a great deal. Thanks for your input I'm gonna think it over a little more. Possibly go with a spring setup I think instead
Old 11-10-2012, 07:14 PM

Car Info: GT37R 07
had a friend buy racelands for his s2000, they were blown after 5000 miles. hands down the best bang for the buck coilover is bc racing coils in my honest opinion. I seen them as cheap as 600 used and as high as 800. if your really on a budget go with used megans which is the lowest of the lowest but will get you by. ive had good impressions with cobb springs, big drop, soft enough so they dont blow your shocks, but dont expect a super high performance delivering spring compared to something like rce yellows. so long story short

1000 dollars = new bc coils
500-800 used coils such as bc, or megans
100-300 cobb springs

this is all for a daily driver btw. no one has ever had a problem running bc coils on the street. megan, a little bumpy, but doable.

thats my 2 cents, to each his own, i rarely post but im procrastinating my research paper
Old 11-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
I recommend springs. I have mach v springs on my 04 wrx and I love them! huge difference compared to stock. I have a buddy with megan street coilovers and he says he loves the ride quality in my car and that my car takes corners pretty damn well. I drive pretty aggressive and I have no regrets in buying them. The drop isnt too much but I'm sure I will blow my struts at one point. I've had them on for 14k miles and my struts are still find other than the infamous clunk that I have been too lazy to deal with. I did my fair share of research on those raceland coilovers and couldnt find a damn thing! The only people running them were honda guys and the only opinions from subie owners are people that are "brand name" people hating on cheap crap. They are probably right but you never know til you try. I might end up being a test dummy just for sh*ts n gigz and I'll post a review when that happens.

In conclusion, if you dont wanna take the risk and can't afford the cheaper brand coilovers (megans) or better coilovers that are 1k+, just get springs, I'm very satisfied with that choice. If its the body roll that you are trying to fix, do sway bars as well. My mach v's with my 17" 11' wrx wheels doesnt have much gap, it looks pretty nice, I'll take a pic if you want, just lmk
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by esousa22
I recommend springs. I have mach v springs on my 04 wrx and I love them! huge difference compared to stock. I have a buddy with megan street coilovers and he says he loves the ride quality in my car and that my car takes corners pretty damn well. I drive pretty aggressive and I have no regrets in buying them. The drop isnt too much but I'm sure I will blow my struts at one point. I've had them on for 14k miles and my struts are still find other than the infamous clunk that I have been too lazy to deal with. I did my fair share of research on those raceland coilovers and couldnt find a damn thing! The only people running them were honda guys and the only opinions from subie owners are people that are "brand name" people hating on cheap crap. They are probably right but you never know til you try. I might end up being a test dummy just for sh*ts n gigz and I'll post a review when that happens.

In conclusion, if you dont wanna take the risk and can't afford the cheaper brand coilovers (megans) or better coilovers that are 1k+, just get springs, I'm very satisfied with that choice. If its the body roll that you are trying to fix, do sway bars as well. My mach v's with my 17" 11' wrx wheels doesnt have much gap, it looks pretty nice, I'll take a pic if you want, just lmk
Originally Posted by mystilexzero
had a friend buy racelands for his s2000, they were blown after 5000 miles. hands down the best bang for the buck coilover is bc racing coils in my honest opinion. I seen them as cheap as 600 used and as high as 800. if your really on a budget go with used megans which is the lowest of the lowest but will get you by. ive had good impressions with cobb springs, big drop, soft enough so they dont blow your shocks, but dont expect a super high performance delivering spring compared to something like rce yellows. so long story short

1000 dollars = new bc coils
500-800 used coils such as bc, or megans
100-300 cobb springs

this is all for a daily driver btw. no one has ever had a problem running bc coils on the street. megan, a little bumpy, but doable.

thats my 2 cents, to each his own, i rarely post but im procrastinating my research paper
Thanks guys both really good advice it helps
Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Technical Know-It-All

BC BRs are not bang for the buck at all. They are cheaply made and the springs rates are not matched the valving very well. There are better coilovers in the same price range or slightly more if you can afford it. If you live in a climate that won't see rust, look into Suspension Technique coilovers, which are KW V1s with different bodies, or Feal coilovers if you want something slightly better (though it costs a little more).
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 AM

Car Info: 02 PSM Impreza WRX
Idk but I love my Swifts, planning on going swift+d-spec.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Technical Know-It-All

That's what I'm running. Swift Rs and D-Specs.

tourexy, are you on ClubWRX?