Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

QUestions: sway/strutbars and understeer

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 09:07 AM

Question QUestions: sway/strutbars and understeer

What exactly is the setup on the stock WRX for the swaybars? I am sure, like most cars, it is set up for mild understeer. What's the best way to reduce the understeer, and go for even a little bit of balance to the oversteer side? I think I've heard beefier rear sway bars will help, but I don't understand why. If a bar in the rear makes the whole suspension stiffer in the back (by the way, what, exactly does it make stiffer?), wouldn't that plant the back end down better and make the car understeer? Anyways, if a bigger rear bar will help me, what should I do up front? Keep the stock bar, or maybe look for one thinner? What would be the effect be if I removed the front bar completely?

Now, what about strut bars? What do these make stiffer? I've generally heard they apply to chassis stiffness, is this correct? So would adding a strut bar even be effective with the stock suspension setup, which is probably a little too soft to really be taking advantage of the car's chassis? In any case, what strut bar setup should I go with?

Any other suspension tuning advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2003, 10:43 AM

sorry i didn't really see the massive swaybar discussion right on top...but still, what if I am looking for maximum oversteer, on or off throttle? The strutbar thing, too.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:40 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
If you really really do want spin-you-out oversteer every time you brake or lift throttle in a turn, keep stock front sway bar, and put a 24-26mm adjustable with solid endlinks in the back. But that won't be the fastest you can make your car. 22mm is about right for a WRX. Strut bars do very little, unless you have a wagon, which can benefit from a rear brace.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:20 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
An alignment will help as well if you want more oversteer, along with perhaps an anti-lift kit and that rear swaybar.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:43 PM

Kostamojen

you said I could change around the alighnment to help this...how would I set it up? i would expect a little front negative camber with almost no rear camber (what degree's approximately?). How about toe? Would you mess with this, too, or will this just kill my tires? Also, how about these anti-lift kits? Will putting maybe just the kit in the front help out at all?
Old 05-18-2003, 11:33 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
0 toe all around and like -1 front camber and 0 rear camber should do the trick, and wont effect the tire wear much if at all.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:54 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Re: QUestions: sway/strutbars and understeer

Originally posted by dorrington
What exactly is the setup on the stock WRX for the swaybars? I am sure, like most cars, it is set up for mild understeer. What's the best way to reduce the understeer, and go for even a little bit of balance to the oversteer side? I think I've heard beefier rear sway bars will help, but I don't understand why. If a bar in the rear makes the whole suspension stiffer in the back (by the way, what, exactly does it make stiffer?), wouldn't that plant the back end down better and make the car understeer? Anyways, if a bigger rear bar will help me, what should I do up front? Keep the stock bar, or maybe look for one thinner? What would be the effect be if I removed the front bar completely?

Now, what about strut bars? What do these make stiffer? I've generally heard they apply to chassis stiffness, is this correct? So would adding a strut bar even be effective with the stock suspension setup, which is probably a little too soft to really be taking advantage of the car's chassis? In any case, what strut bar setup should I go with?

Any other suspension tuning advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
you may want to consider telling us whether you have a wagon or sedan.

check out https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...&threadid=3676 there is some good info there.

the larger rear sway bar increases the effective spring rate of the outer rear wheel while the car is in a corner, thus putting more of the vehicle's overall cornering force on the outer rear tire so that the rear end breaks loose earlier. make sense?

Last edited by Steppin Razor; 05-20-2003 at 06:56 PM.