Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Performance Suspension Upgrade on new WRX Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 10:19 AM

Performance Suspension Upgrade on new WRX Wagon

I'm considering purchasing a WRX Wagon and am wondering if I should spring for the performance suspension kit. First, is the kit the best use of $1500 for a suspension upgrade. Secondly, if it is the right upgrade, should I do it at the time of purchase or is it cheaper to do after. The car will basically be used for a trip car and I may use it as a Driver's Education track car (my current DE car is a 99 M3). Finally, how are the stock brakes. Will they hold up to a 30 minute track sessions. Thanks for any input you can give me.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:21 AM

What's the reason for omitting the rear suspension crossmember bushings?
Old 02-23-2003, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX Limited
How come when I bought my WRX I didn't see any "suspension upgrade" packages?
Old 02-23-2003, 08:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
What's NVH?
Old 02-23-2003, 09:11 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by gpatmac
What's NVH?

Noise, Vibration, & Harshness, a standard industry term. Here's a site called NVHmaterials.com.

--
^ww^
"…axles of evil…" - George W. Bush
Old 02-23-2003, 09:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally posted by Wingless Wonder

Here's a site called NVHmaterials.com.
Holy smokes!

I'm all for scouring every bit of research material I can find, but I stop where my Masters' degree doesn't help. Oh, yeah. That's right, I don't have a Master's.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:59 PM

Car Info: Aspen White GDA
Re: Performance Suspension Upgrade on new WRX Wagon

Originally posted by noWRX
I'm considering purchasing a WRX Wagon and am wondering if I should spring for the performance suspension kit. First, is the kit the best use of $1500 for a suspension upgrade. Secondly, if it is the right upgrade, should I do it at the time of purchase or is it cheaper to do after. The car will basically be used for a trip car and I may use it as a Driver's Education track car (my current DE car is a 99 M3). Finally, how are the stock brakes. Will they hold up to a 30 minute track sessions. Thanks for any input you can give me.
I have a wrx sedan and I got the sports suspension from eBay for $700 flat and shipped.
Just for your info and my pride
Old 02-26-2003, 07:00 AM

I looked on ebay. No luck. What search did you use or where did you buy them from? How difficult was the install?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:01 AM

Two different dealers have told me that the Subaru suspension upgrade violates the warranty. Anybody else here of this, or should I even care?
Old 02-27-2003, 08:14 PM

Car Info: Aspen White GDA
Kinda confused...

Aren't we talking about the SPT(Subaru Performance Tuning) suspension kit(ie. the dealer upgrade option)? Or is it STI?

I've read from somewhere that the SPT kit is close/identical to the one used on STI Type-RA. But this is not equal to the STI kit, which I think should refer to those pink color parts.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:23 AM

unthanke, did you do the upgrade yourself or did you have the dealer do it? If you did it yourself, how difficult was it? I test drove a wagon last weekend and didn't like the transient response with the stock suspension. The car was much less composed on a particular corner than a VW GTI I drove through the same corner. I'm hoping the suspension upgrade and 17" tires would help this out dramatically.

Quick Reply: Performance Suspension Upgrade on new WRX Wagon