i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Handling, and Brakes (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/)
-   -   Performance Suspension Upgrade on new WRX Wagon (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/performance-suspension-upgrade-new-wrx-wagon-9972/)

noWRX 02-20-2003 10:19 AM

Performance Suspension Upgrade on new WRX Wagon

I'm considering purchasing a WRX Wagon and am wondering if I should spring for the performance suspension kit. First, is the kit the best use of $1500 for a suspension upgrade. Secondly, if it is the right upgrade, should I do it at the time of purchase or is it cheaper to do after. The car will basically be used for a trip car and I may use it as a Driver's Education track car (my current DE car is a 99 M3). Finally, how are the stock brakes. Will they hold up to a 30 minute track sessions. Thanks for any input you can give me.

gtguy 02-20-2003 06:17 PM

The Subaru suspension kit is excellent, a well sorted-out bit of kit that will do very well for you. If the dealer installs it, have them omit the rear suspension crossmember bushings. You'll be happy that they did.

With a fluid upgrade to something like SuperBlue, the brakes will do fine. You'll eat pads, but duh!

Kevin

noWRX 02-21-2003 10:21 AM

What's the reason for omitting the rear suspension crossmember bushings?

gtguy 02-23-2003 03:38 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by noWRX [/i]
[B]What's the reason for omitting the rear suspension crossmember bushings? [/B][/QUOTE]

They add NVH.

Kevin

Acadian 02-23-2003 06:15 PM

How come when I bought my WRX I didn't see any "suspension upgrade" packages?

gpatmac 02-23-2003 08:48 PM

What's NVH?

Wingless Wonder 02-23-2003 09:11 PM

[size=1][i]Originally posted by gpatmac[/i]
[B][color=purple]What's NVH?
[/color][/B][/size]
Noise, Vibration, & Harshness, a standard industry term. Here's a site called [url=http://www.nvhmaterials.com/][color=red]NVHmaterials.com[/color][/url].

--
[color=red]^[/color][color=blue]ww[/color][color=red]^[/color]
"[color=blue]…axles of evil…[/color]" - George W. Bush

gpatmac 02-23-2003 09:31 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Wingless Wonder [/i]

[b]Here's a site called [url=http://www.nvhmaterials.com/][color=red]NVHmaterials.com[/color][/url].
[/B][/QUOTE]

Holy smokes!

I'm all for scouring every bit of research material I can find, but I stop where my Masters' degree doesn't help. Oh, yeah. That's right, I don't have a Master's. :)

kalasend 02-24-2003 02:59 PM

Re: Performance Suspension Upgrade on new WRX Wagon

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by noWRX [/i]
[B]I'm considering purchasing a WRX Wagon and am wondering if I should spring for the performance suspension kit. First, is the kit the best use of $1500 for a suspension upgrade. Secondly, if it is the right upgrade, should I do it at the time of purchase or is it cheaper to do after. The car will basically be used for a trip car and I may use it as a Driver's Education track car (my current DE car is a 99 M3). Finally, how are the stock brakes. Will they hold up to a 30 minute track sessions. Thanks for any input you can give me. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have a wrx sedan and I got the sports suspension from eBay for $700 flat and shipped.
Just for your info and my pride :)

noWRX 02-26-2003 07:00 AM

I looked on ebay. No luck. What search did you use or where did you buy them from? How difficult was the install?

noWRX 02-26-2003 07:01 AM

Two different dealers have told me that the Subaru suspension upgrade violates the warranty. Anybody else here of this, or should I even care?

unthanke 02-27-2003 04:53 PM

I've just installed the STI suspension and 20mm rear sway bar on my '03 wagon and would heartily recommend it. The suspension feels more controlled now (increased damping) without being harsh. The last thing I wanted was to rattle my dentures. It didn't seem to affect the ride height any either.

By the way I've also got 17" wheels and 225 tires, which in itself was a huge improvement over stock. Now this things a killer.

kalasend 02-27-2003 08:14 PM

Kinda confused...

Aren't we talking about the SPT(Subaru Performance Tuning) suspension kit(ie. the dealer upgrade option)? Or is it STI?

I've read from somewhere that the SPT kit is close/identical to the one used on STI Type-RA. But this is not equal to the STI kit, which I think should refer to those pink color parts.

noWRX 02-28-2003 06:23 AM

unthanke, did you do the upgrade yourself or did you have the dealer do it? If you did it yourself, how difficult was it? I test drove a wagon last weekend and didn't like the transient response with the stock suspension. The car was much less composed on a particular corner than a VW GTI I drove through the same corner. I'm hoping the suspension upgrade and 17" tires would help this out dramatically.

unthanke 02-28-2003 09:49 AM

I do mean SPT. I assumend SPT and STI were the same kit, but I guess not.

I had a local frame and suspension shop I like install the kit. I'm guessing it was about 3 or 4 hours worth of work. Even if you do it yourself, you'll have to take the car in for an alignment.

I think if you install better rubber, the STI suspension, and 20mm rear bar you'll be very happy. These changes made a world of difference in my car. However I guess you realize you're talking probably $3000 to do this.

I drove in the rain through about 15 miles of very winding canyon roads on the way to work a couple of days ago and I couldn't break the car loose; not to say that I'm a skilled driver, but the thing just sticks.