Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Need some help with suspension gameplan... Wagon Widebody.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:14 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
Need some help with suspension gameplan... Wagon Widebody.

I am getting the parts together to make the front track of the 04 wagon wider to match the body.

I am lost when it comes to what I am looking for.

CAR IS ON STOCK SPRINGS/STRUTS

If I am going to be replacing the control arms, I would like to get aluminum control arms but I am unsure which ones to get. USDM, JDM, Caster adding, non-caster adding, year ect.

Also unsure if I should get an aftermarket sway bar/links or if a stock one will be fine.

Considering the front of the car will be wider than the rear by a little more than 5mm per side (rear end has 5mm spacers), I dont know if I should be diving into a beefier sway/links just yet or what.

Anybody have some insight as to what I direction I should be going. I have no plans on autox or tracking so I am afraid of going overkill with the suspension for just a DD but would prefer to upgrade while I am in there.

Maybe skip the sway/links and upgrade certain bushings instead?

All help or discussion is appreciated.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Bump... Anybody want to lend some advice?

I can obviously go and get front rear sways/links, front rear strut braces, bushings ect.. but I am not experienced in these areas and am not sure where I should be focusing and where I shouldnt.

Is there an order that I should be tackling these items?

Like start with bushings, then go with sways and then go with strut bars if I am still looking for more.

Am I barking up the wrong tree entirely? Should I be focusing on springs/struts and keeping everything else stock?

I am sure someone out there has some pointers or classic "dont do's"
Anyone?

Last edited by Harry Maneuvers; 04-17-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
You will need sedan front sway bar and links, sedan struts(you can use wagon struts which will give you more negative camber), any GC type control arm will work. If you can find the caster adding ones the better. The caster adding ones will have a slight bend at the rear most part, from the ball joint to the transverse link. Another way to tell is the part where the sway bar link attaches to the control arm has a squared off casting tab. You can use your wagon shafts but they may not live as long as the sedan units. Many people have run the wagon shafts for many many thousands of miles with no issues. As far as a wider front track compared to the rear, for performance that is a good thing! Less under steer, more neutral. This he's been done by lots of guys so you can search some more because all the info is out there. It's a good mod for the wagons.
If you want to keep it simple then a good spring/stut combo(not coilovers unless you spend big bucks, over $2000), sway bars, links and great tires will transform your car.
Oh, all Subarus do not like to be too low for performance. Keep it LESS than 1.5 inches drop. 20-25mm is probably best. Slammed cars do NOT handle good at all.
Good luck.
Edit: if you have large wheels you may rub with the wider track. 17x8 or smaller with the proper offset should work with -2* camber
The info is out there but this is from what I remember.
Edit#2:I meant to say GD control arms up there not GC. GC arms are great but are the same width as the wagon(GG) arms.

Last edited by bikelok; 04-22-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 PM

Thank you!!!!!!

Yea I am definitley going to widen the front track with GD control arms (not the narrower GC arms). Not looking to drop it too much as the 17x8 wheels and the 145/45/17 tires are already snug.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon
Oops, I meant to say GD arms not the GC. I made an edit.