Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

which mod should i do first?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 04:58 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
tires are most important imo

whats your goal with the car, what do you want to do with it?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:26 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
If you get coilovers, that doesn't leave much budget for tires, wheels, swaybars, endlinks, or anti-lift kit, all of which are more necessary IMHO. I would spend $2000 on a fully stock car by getting some S03s, rear sway bar, endliks, and the aforementioned Anti-lift kit.

RSB: $100 new or ~$50 used
Whiteline ALK:$140 or so, plus installation (it's really hard to do if you don't have access to a lift, and nearly impossible with only hand tools)
Tires: I highly highly highly recommend S03s for you in Hawaii. They are great in the rain, awesome in the dry, and you don't get snow. $600 mounted in 205/55R16 or $700 for 225/40R17 if you get wheels too.
Endlinks: Any will do really, I have Whiteline KLC26 solid aluminum ones that I really like. I don't recommend the ones with spherical bushings b/c they are noisier and will eventually wear out. They are also more expensive without really being any more effective.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:43 AM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza Coupe RS-T Tec3/Vishnu turbo Color: B
If your trying to save money the FHI swaybars can be as low as $90 new or $50 used. Swaybars do not wear out so that is a quick $50-$100 savings you could spend on a kartboy shifter if you have a manual.

If you dont want to buy an ALK and still have stock struts/springs you can just unbolt the stock control arm bushing and add 1/4 inch of large washers under the bushing housing at the body mounts under all 4 bolts and this will gain you some castor.

with that savings you could get something eles. Only real improvement with a real ALK is stiffer bushings but since the rest of the suspension bushings are all stock, it will be more ballanced.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:07 PM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
yeah, i think it depends wut you want to do with your car. wut are you looking to gain from modding the car?
personally, i would start with suspension first...
rear sway bar (as mentioned above), with some springs, and then some tires or wheels..
alk... i would say is not as important yet..
Old 01-05-2004, 08:56 AM
The weal amewican hewo!

Car Info: 02 Aspen White sedan
yeah i would go for tires = s03's heck yeah :banana: ...you'll stick like a motha...then go for stiffening up your car, sways, endlinks and hahaha maybe a rollcage :banana: ..but thats just my .02 i havent modded my car yet or even bought the thing yet...arghhh
Old 01-05-2004, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
tires....s 03's are nice... rear sway bar and endlinks... and some springs...and maybe if you still have some change get an uppipe....
Old 01-05-2004, 11:33 AM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
Originally posted by neo_asian
i'm aiming for good control over my car... i'm planning to take a downhill
What do you mea n by that?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
I would also recommend at least tires, but I'd recommend wheels, too. You can get some Rota's to start with and upgrade to really expensive wheels later. After wheels and tires, I'd get the RSB, Endlinks, and then brake stuff (SS lines, Pads, fluid). That should be about $2000, you might be able to get an ALK. Start with cheaper stuff and upgrade when you get seriously nuts about your car.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:09 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
If you get a set of 17" wheels, try to make sure they'll fit over big brake kits on the market. Not all 17" wheels fit over the StopTech or Brembo big brake kits so finding out beforehand will save you from buying yet another set of wheels just to fit bigger front brakes.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 01-05-2004, 03:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
I bought 17" rotas and so3 pole positions and i cant believe the difference. Its like a totally different car. These tires are not good in snow. Its winter in MO and I have stock wheels and tires back on and it feels like Im driveing a truck. I cant wait for spring so I can reinstall 17s and tear up some backroads ( in a responsible manner that is). Im no pro like allot of these guys so there may be a better mod but Im really happy with the change in handelling with the wheels and tires.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by BAN SUVS

Whiteline ALK:$140 or so, plus installation (it's really hard to do if you don't have access to a lift, and nearly impossible with only hand tools)
completely untrue, me and Huck here on the boards put it on his car with a ratchet set and a breaker bar
Old 01-16-2004, 02:58 AM

Car Info: JDM Ver 7
I'd agree with the swaybar first. In my opinion, it makes the most noticable difference. I'm using the STi lateral links and trailing arms(350.00), and Cusco swaybars(225.00 for f/r set). This set up makes the stock suspension feel better than some full coilovers I've been in. Feels even better with the HKS Suspension. You might still have enough left over to get a coilover suspension. If you're looking for anything from Japan new/used, let me know. Shipping is cheap from here to Hawaii.

Quick Reply: which mod should i do first?