Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

I think have the dreaded STI clunk.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:19 PM

Car Info: 2016 S6
my 05 sti just started clunking i now have 40k so i guess it time for a set of coilovers. dealer said my extended warrenty won't cover them (no suspension mods)
Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 AM

Car Info: wrx sti 04
i got clunk too guys ,i spoked with a lot of people i changed the top mount with N group,i changed the endlinks but still got the clunk,some people sad if i change the swaybar will gone but i dont know what to do,that is the problem on all sti's
Old 11-08-2007, 11:17 AM

Car Info: wrx sti 04
lol dont worry about it, its your endlinks haha helix right?

i had helix endlinks and sway bar before and it clunking is because the bearing of the helix is freaking metal. it make those noise so dont worry about it. its really annoying thats why i sold them. after i change it out, there are no more noise.

get whiteline endlinks or perrin
Last edited by wimprezax06 : Today at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Car Info: 07 WRX
Aghh, I have JDM STi struts and some major clunking along with it.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM

I have had an '04 sti and had 2 complete sets of struts replaced (under warranty) for a total of 6 struts since new. It took the local dealership a couple of months to figure out I was not crazy and that the clunk was indeed the struts and since then they have replaced 2 sets......... but I have no mods on the suspension other than sway bars and the writer told me if I had any actual spring stuff I would be DENIED. Good luck but I think you SOL.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Everyone gets it sooner or later. I got it but I've since been saved.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:06 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
I have an 04 STi and had the right rear replaced once. I've been told that it is a design flaw on the particular KYB inverted strut having issues of stiction. Because I autocross once a month and have to swap wheels, I regularly grease the shaft so it stays practically clunk-free. But on occasion when it rains alot some clunking does return. Because the factory replacement is quite expensive and the only after replacement struts are the ones from Ohlins ('bout $1900 a set) the only alternatives to replacement are coilovers, so pick your poison.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
The strut shafts need to be regreased. That should stop the clunking for a while.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: every subaru ever
Endlinks can clunk. Make sure they are tightened down enough. Also, spherical bearing endlinks can just clunk after time. It happens. If it's a concern, then get Kartboy bushing style endlinks which are strong and quiet.

STi struts clunk. It happens. It does NOT necessarily mean they have blown. Take out the insert by removing the bottom nut and repack them with grease. Lots of it. Put some lube on the outside as well. Put it back together and they should stop clunking for a while.

- Andrew
Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM

Car Info: '05 WRX STi
Unfortunately to stock struts are junk. If you put heavier rated springs on than stock it just makes them go faster.

Either get some Koni's or get a decent set of coilovers and solve the problem for good. I had the same issue on my '05 STi and many many others share the same issue.

Unfortunately your springs made them die and early death, so you will have to cover the repair. Just don't waste your money on another stock set. I have one good rear strut if only one of yours is bad, I can let it go for $50 for a quick fix for you.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:08 AM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
this thread is pretty old but i guess people still have issue with those stuff.

i had clunking noise on my 06 as well after i got the swar bar and endlinks. and it's exactly like the way you describe it.going over ramps and going up drive way. my problem was the endlinks. i had helix endlinks and they are full metal and makes a lot of noise.

endlinks i would go for white line or perrin. i had cobb endlinks after i change out the helix. cobb front endlinks SNAP on me after 1 day of twisty driving. it was pretty sad. whiteline is a full solid endlink and it works great.

and remember that you will always have problems after you mod your car. big or small problems will start coming. so if you want no problem with your car. leave it alone
Old 04-27-2008, 02:26 AM

Car Info: 2002-WRB-WRX-EJ257-stg2 / 2007-DGM-LGT-Ltd
Originally Posted by subie OCD
The strut shafts need to be regreased. That should stop the clunking for a while.
+1. if regreasing the shaft fixes the problem you can take apart the strut, take out the factory grease and replace it with synthetic/lithium grease.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: every subaru ever
Kartboy endlinks are dead silent.

- andrew
Old 08-06-2008, 02:11 AM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Bringing this back from the dead.

But after i installed my karboy endlinks on my 04 STi I started getting this horrible clunking noise as described by everyone else. Is it possible that they are too lose? or too tight?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i have heard the clunk in the upper rear not the lower part

Quick Reply: I think have the dreaded STI clunk.