Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

HELP...ran over a HUGE rock and i have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 08:08 AM

Car Info: a wrx?
HELP...ran over a HUGE rock and i have some questions...

last sat, i ran over a huge rock (the size of 5 ps2 stacked game cases) on 280. i ran over the rock with the inside part of my left front wheel. after that, my 03 wrx sedan gets the wobbles whenever im cruising at 60 mph and ONLY 60 mph. im also running whiteline coilovers...any suggestions?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Sounds like maybe one of your rims is bent.
Have you checked the alignment or had a re-balance of the two front tires?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:43 AM

Car Info: GDA
^^^ exactly as soggy said. take it to a good shop and have them look at it; you'll prob need either an alignment or re-balancing.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:35 PM

Car Info: a wrx?
ok, thanks guys
Old 08-06-2005, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
look for any bubbles in the sidewall of the tires hard inpacts can cause the side wall to bubble and that will give a vibration at higher speeds
Old 08-08-2005, 05:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 WRX, '97 Forester S/Tb, '95 WRX-RA
Look for cuts too. They may be hard to find, but what looks like a minor sidewall cut on the surface can actually be millimeters away from being a nasty high-speed blow-out.

The background on this, if you have time:

A month ago, I ran over some middle-road markers by going over the centerline for a split second. In the states, they are usually harmless flat reflectors, but over here, they put angled steel wedges, almost 2" high, that come to a 45 degree point with a small reflective strip on them to mark the lanes. I ran over 4 going about 35mph in under a second. After it happened, the car drove fine, but I took it easy until I could park and check the tires. The sidewall folded and protected the rim (40 profile Falken tires), so I was happy about that. After checking with a bright flashlight, I saw that there were 4 barely visible cuts where each wedge contacted the tire. Being away from my tools, I had to take the car to a shop. The guy there said it should be fine to drive on the tire, but don't use it on the track. I was only planning on making a 7 hour drive back home, but I went with what I felt and paid the 22,000yen, over $200, for a new tire. After the tire was unmounted, I used a thin steel rod as a depth gauge and checked how deep the cuts were and used a caliper to compare the cut to the actual sidewall thickness. 2 of the cuts were about 3mm from being completely through the sidewall. Add this with the 90mph I would have been driving for 7 hours to get home. It would have been bad.

The moral of the story? Any sidewall damage is bad, small cuts can run deep, and don't listen to the knucklehead mechanic who tells you to drive on it...He won't be in the crash with you when the tire blows.