Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

HELP: Cutting Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:11 PM

Car Info: Searching...
HELP: Cutting Coilovers

Does anyone have any experience in cutting coilovers? Is it bad for the coilover? I have megan racing coils and i want to drop my car but the only factor that is stopping me from doing this is that once the intial coil itself goes pass the bottom of the base of the coilover, i risk ruinining my control arm and ripping my axel boot....any suggestions would be helpful thanks
Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 PM

Car Info: 20psi Daily!
that's when you're gonna have to forget preload and start drooping the spring. not sure how megan is, but with stance, they provide helper springs to keep the spring somewhat preloaded
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Sport Wagon
If you cut the springs you will change the dynamics of the suspension. Each coil on the spring holds a certain amount of weight. If you cut them you will make them sag. The wisest thing to do would be to contact Megan and see if they have a spring that would create the effect you want or find another company that sells the same diameter spring that you currently have with a different rate (kg/mm or lbs/in). An avid Auto crosser can prob give you a better idea on an ideal set-up. Good luck with finding your set-up. Sorry can't give much help as far as set-up goes. Not too familiar with megan's set-up.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Car Info: bici putas
you gonna run some gold daytons?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Car Info: WRX
how low are you trying to go??
Old 05-24-2010, 09:43 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx 300AWHP
Yes! Mac C tha pimp! POOOOOOWWWWW BABYYYY!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
ahahaha
Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ZeroGWRXGG
If you cut the springs you will change the dynamics of the suspension. Each coil on the spring holds a certain amount of weight. If you cut them you will make them sag. The wisest thing to do would be to contact Megan and see if they have a spring that would create the effect you want or find another company that sells the same diameter spring that you currently have with a different rate (kg/mm or lbs/in). An avid Auto crosser can prob give you a better idea on an ideal set-up. Good luck with finding your set-up. Sorry can't give much help as far as set-up goes. Not too familiar with megan's set-up.
damm. alright ill call megan and see what they can do. if the springs are gonna cost alot, im just sell these and get some other type of suspension setup.
Originally Posted by D. Fantom
how low are you trying to go??
ummm a quarter of an inch from the top of the tire to the fender.

Originally Posted by lanz0r
haha nice vid
Old 05-25-2010, 07:23 AM

Car Info: 1988 Yoda
you dropped the coilover as much as you could and you can't get it to tuck the tire? Lower the lower bracket all the way or is it already lowered all the way?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRC STi and a Brat
What length and diameter and spring rate do you have now? And what are you looking to go to? I have found that there are always a bunch of springs available used on the SCCAfourums.com website. These guys are always changing springs to find the ultimate set up. So you could just sell yours and buy what you need. DON'T cut yours.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
what spring rates do you need? i have some 7" 2.5" ID 400/350s. no clue what the inner diameter on the Megans are, or what length you need though.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/ground-control-eibach-7-l-2-5-id-400-350-coilover-springs-207493/
Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
hmm i thought all coil overs you could adjust the ride height?
are these just a strut with a spring?
either way cutting the spring is going to make it ride like crap and your handling is going to go right in the toilet.

Last edited by WREXNFX; 05-25-2010 at 10:00 AM. Reason: :-)
Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 AM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by Su_Buru
damm. alright ill call megan and see what they can do. if the springs are gonna cost alot, im just sell these and get some other type of suspension setup.

ummm a quarter of an inch from the top of the tire to the fender.

That's weird. You should easily be able to tuck tire with Megans. I don't have megans but i'm completely flush with my fenders and still have at least another inch of drop in the coil overs. Do you have the springs loaded in there right?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by RLLYRCR
you dropped the coilover as much as you could and you can't get it to tuck the tire? Lower the lower bracket all the way or is it already lowered all the way?
well i cant drop the coilover as much as i can because it coil begins to stick out of the bottom and its risks hitting the axle boot...i speak from experience lol

Originally Posted by STi4WRC
What length and diameter and spring rate do you have now? And what are you looking to go to? I have found that there are always a bunch of springs available used on the SCCAfourums.com website. These guys are always changing springs to find the ultimate set up. So you could just sell yours and buy what you need. DON'T cut yours.
ummm i think they are 8k/6k. I am just looking for a comfortable ride height and to slam my car(tuck the tires/ whatever you call it). Alright. Ill check out that website.
Originally Posted by pignoseWRX
what spring rates do you need? i have some 7" 2.5" ID 400/350s. no clue what the inner diameter on the Megans are, or what length you need though.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207493
i dont think spring rates mater in dropping the car. and idk what length i would need to drop my car.

Originally Posted by D. Fantom
That's weird. You should easily be able to tuck tire with Megans. I don't have megans but i'm completely flush with my fenders and still have at least another inch of drop in the coil overs. Do you have the springs loaded in there right?
easier said then done. like i said, if i begin to start lowering it, the coil begins to get closer and closer to the axle boot and i dont want to break that again. lol when you say tuck you mean like have the wheel under the fender? The spring are loaded in right. I just lower and drop them. i have the preload set and everythings fine. Is there another way in lowering without risking the axle boot or could i be lowering the car wrong?

Quick Reply: HELP: Cutting Coilovers