Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Height

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 05:42 PM

Car Info: Silver 2002 WRX
Height

Ok what i really want is to improve my stock 2002 WRX's handling while keeping it the same height. How can i go about doing this?
Old 01-31-2003, 09:21 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX TurboXS Stage 4
Step 1
1 SPT aluminum front control arms.
2 Cusco or STI lateral links
3 STI or Cusco trailing arms
Vivid racing has this stuff but some of it is a little pricey, I don't know who else But it will make the whole car feel tighter, give you crisper turn-in and better feed back as well as more persice tracking.
http://www.vividracing.com/main_page.php

Step 2
1 Sway bars front & rear
2 White line anti-lift kit
3 kartboy or MRT sway bar links
4 rear strut tower bar
You may want to skip the rear strutr tower bar and the anti-lift kit but the others will really help.

For more info do a search on each individual item there is lots of info here.

Last edited by Andersonwrx; 01-31-2003 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:32 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
I think that your steps ar backwards also there are a couple of diff springs (sti) that don't lower the car but are stiffer
what do you want to spend?
for cheap I'd say rear swaybar, endlinks, rear brace, front lower brace. I like my ALK but the bushing do take away, comfort and noise

Robert
Old 01-31-2003, 11:28 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX TurboXS Stage 4
The ALK is good but it has a side effect of causing more front dive during breaking. Step 2 is much less expensive so maybe your right and it should be step 1. I think step 1 offers benifits that are "some what" similar to lowering springs while step 2 does not effect the car in any where near the same way. Thats a good point about improved springs that maintain stock ride hight though, yet the springs will effect comfort more than the options I listed in step 1, if thats a consideration. either way if you add springs to the parts I listed in my previous post you can get a pretty masive handeling increase.

Last edited by Andersonwrx; 01-31-2003 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:38 PM

andersonwrx
Have you tried the trailing and lateral links?
I could not tell much diff with the sti trailing arms, only on the raagged edge also there is more road noise. I would expect the lateral links would make alot of noise but mabe not being mounted to the rear member that is Isolated.

springs will effect handling, handling is what this guy is asking about
most of the diff you felt with the al control arms was the grp n bushings

I think that stage 2 will increase cabin noise alot more that day to day handling

Last edited by bamfwrx; 02-01-2003 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:26 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
okay, bamf your ride is a LOT different from our rexes. i am absolutely NOT trying to be anything except informative here, BTW. the new age body style (GDA/GGA) is MUCH stiffer than previous body styles and thus does not benefit nearly as much from strut tower braces.

if you're looking for bang for the buck, your first mod should without question be a 22mm adjustable rear swaybar. this will allow you to tune in the amount of oversteer or understeer you want.

the next few are debatable, but it's hard not to go with tires next as the stock RE92s are absolutely awful.

the solid rear endlinks (I prefer Perrin) do make the engagement of the RSB much more linear and some would choose this mod next.

next, one could argue for an ALK as it makes the car behave much better coming out of corners on the gas. one would of course need to get a performance alignment with this mod and that combined with the ALK will make a night and day difference.

Now, I'm going to go out on a limb. I'm gonna go with the ground control setup next. It comes with top-quality Eibach springs, allows you to adust ride height (and thus the ability to have your car cornerweighted), and costs less than $400.

With these mods, you will have a WRX that will outperform most any othercar on the road through the corners. Your next mod will probably a set of $$$$ coilovers or perhaps by the time you get there, SOMEONE will have come out with a viable alternative.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:31 PM

Steppin
you know what me ride is you bought my bushings. Have you installed them yet?
I was talkin about a GD ablost B car and yes a RSB is the biggest bang for the buck. I can't comment personaly or link but I can see how they would help. As the factory links are weak and the sway bar brakets are also weak.
I wouild also recommend the lower cucso front brace for none girl friend annoying parts

WickedWRX
What are you wanting to do with the car?
Old 02-04-2003, 11:07 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
hahaha, sorry my memory is getting worse by the second and i'm only 22!! crap. yeah, i got those guys in the mail but my subframe is so bent up that i'm not sure that i could get it back on if I took it off and that is part of the install on those bushings. i thought you had a GL because of your profile, but yes you do have a rex haha. i couldn't really understand your last reply too well but it looks like you had good results with the cusco lower arm bar. do you have any thoughts on the ground control setup?
Old 02-05-2003, 05:54 AM

I never had the GC springs I almost bought them once but then found zero-2's used
I love the zero-2's but I am still unsure what this guy wants from his car.
how did the U-brace get all bent up? I have noticed that mine hits things every once in a while. but mine is close to the ground

The 87 is my go to school car so my 02 stays pretty

hey sorry about the last post I had 6 or 12 beers

Yeah cause I need to bragg http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bob_maunz...Photos&.view=t

Last edited by bamfwrx; 02-05-2003 at 05:57 AM.