Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Freakin' Noltec steering bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 07:01 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Unhappy Freakin' Noltec steering bushings...

So I get these Noltec steering bushings from Oakos (which by the way kicks @$$ in almost every way possible as a vendor - cheap prices, good products, fast shipment! :thumbup: )

and so I'm trying to install these darn things... I did a fairly thorough search on multiple message boards and read all the DIYs. So actually, the install goes relatively easily in the beginning. Did the driver's side first as advised, loosened the steering column to drop the assembly 1/4", got the old bushing out no problem. Even bent the power steering fluid lines a tad to make things easier. Then I'm trying to stick the new bushing in, have it all lubed up (that sounded kinda perverted... :P ) but it's just very slightly WIDER than stock (? like 1/16") ! I had heard about this, but I had also heard that some other people didn't have this problem and that maybe it was just a bad batch?! So I'm trying to get this friggin thing in and finally have to resort to using my jack to press the retaining clip back into place so I can finally bolt that sucker in...

The end result? It's in, but it ain't pretty. The bushing seems to be kinda "oozing" out the sides of the clip. Very strange sight. Dunno how it feels yet since I have yet to take the scooby out for a test drive; Actually I'm kinda scared to. It's in there really tight, so I think it'll be ok... or at least I hope so - anyone have any feelings about this???
Oh yeah, the passenger side was rediculously easy - 10 minutes max.

Any input/experiences/help would be much appreciated...
Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by cannibal869; 06-29-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:15 AM

OK, so an update - drove the rex to go see Spidey 2 last night (which rocked!) - steering seems to be fine and actually feels just a slight bit tighter, meaning that when you turn the wheel, there's a tiny bit more resistance and the wheel wants to go back to neutral/straight faster. Not sure if this is the kind of response people are talking about...

Anyway, no crazy driving or putting the car through its paces...yet...
Old 07-01-2004, 03:53 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
I had the same fight when I installed the Noltec bushings they were a pain. I helped a friend install the Whiteline bushings went in so much easier not as wide so that probably made the difference. If I would have known I would have went with the Whiteline. I had my car up on the lift I htink I am going to do some tweaking on the driver's side it didn't look right..
Old 07-02-2004, 03:55 PM

Car Info: Silver 2002 WRX
cannibal869,

Just a quick question about the install. I attempt the whiteline install and failed because I couldn't get the driver's side bracket off. There was barely any room between the steering rack and powersteering lines, even when bending the lines. Did loosening the steering column help gain additional room to pull off the bracket? I was trying to pull the bracket straight down and move it off to the driver's side. From what I have been told, loosening the steering column allows you to rotate the bracket around the steering rack and remove it from the side/top.

As for your issue, I don't think you should run into any problems. You just found a way to hold the rack to the frame tighter. There does not need to be any relative motion between the two parts, so you should be fine. They may wear out faster than a correctly sized bushing, but you'll be able to feel it. You can then just replace them with a fresh set.

-Eric
Old 07-02-2004, 04:19 PM

Thanks Eric,

Loosening the steering column allows you to pull the whole driver's side of the assembly down about 1/4 - 1/2 inch (depending on how enthusiastic you are). This then allows you to get a little more room around where the support bracket mounts into. Also, this allows you to move the steering rack forward and backward a little bit (i.e. move the steering rack backward to open up the front space a little more). As for the steering lines, you just have to kind of pry them apart - they should spread about 1/4 - 1/2 inch as well and allow you to squirm the bracket off to the side towards the drivers side wheel. When I used the jack to try to press the support bracket back in, it actually worked as a wedge to further separate the power steering lines.

Good luck,
-Chris
Old 07-03-2004, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Guys, my personal feeling is to remove the Noltec steering rack bushings if the fit was poor and send them back to the distributor, then ask for Whitelines. It should not be necessary to compress a bushing before installation. If this were a better way of doing things, Subaru would use this method. Noltec has got a quality control problem with these bushings. This has been reported in detail here and in the 'other' board but some members maintain they had few problems with them.

If the bushing is oversized and material is being squeezed out from the edges of the bracket, then it isn't properly contacting the steering rack. This might possibly cause early bushing failure. Why chance it when you paid good money for bushings? Get some that fit.

When I installed my Whiteline steering rack bushings, besides loosening the clamp holding the steering shaft from the rack, I also loosened the small power steering line bracket on the steering rack's passenger side. This gave just a little bit more play in the lines to allow you to push them without damage. I did not have to bend the lines although it took me a long time to move the driver's side clamp out of the way without bending them. Just double-check to make sure all clamps are tightened before driving the car.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-06-2004, 01:42 AM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
I concure with WW. I ran into the same issue with Noltecs when installing them onto another members car, hopefully the issue has been fixed but since that was several months ago it appears that it has not.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:43 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Do I have to post the pic again?

Left to right: Whiteline, Stock, Noltec

Install instructions for anyone else that finds this thread and needs help: http://mikeegan.stormpages.com/steer.html
Old 07-06-2004, 10:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
That's a great pic Egan. It's cool to actually see a comparison like that as opposed to hearing others talk about it. The Whiteline bushing is so inexpensive that I wonder why people go with other makes.

-Brian
Old 07-06-2004, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
That's a great pic Egan. It's cool to actually see a comparison like that as opposed to hearing others talk about it. The Whiteline bushing is so inexpensive that I wonder why people go with other makes.

-Brian
Rebels and non-conformists!
Old 07-06-2004, 02:08 PM

Origami posted by eastbaysubaru
The Whiteline bushing is so inexpensive that I wonder why people go with other makes.
I think most people still aren't aware that at least some sets of the Noltecs are coming through with the wrong dimensions. As the pic clearly shows, it's way off. The Whiteline appears to be pretty much the same size as the factory bushing. That's the way it should be - these things replace drop-in rubber bushings, not interference-fitted piston pins!

I have no idea if anyone has contacted Noltec about this issue.

--
0==WW==0
Old 07-06-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
I think most people still aren't aware that at least some sets of the Noltecs are coming through with the wrong dimensions. As the pic clearly shows, it's way off. The Whiteline appears to be pretty much the same size as the factory bushing. That's the way it should be - these things replace drop-in rubber bushings, not interference-fitted piston pins!

I have no idea if anyone has contacted Noltec about this issue.

--
0==WW==0
I think you should talk to SubieGal about this.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:11 PM

Some knight in shining armor came to her defense on the board. I read his retaliatory attack, chuckled, then unsubscribed from the thread.

I sent a message to Noltec via their web site. I explained how the driver's side (squarish) bushing is too wide in the dimension of the steering rack axis and how it compares to the OEM and Whiteline bushings.

I also included the link to the thread started by Kostamojen on the other message board, which is pretty much the same thread as the one on this board minus a Moderator/Vendor trying to save face with the products they sell.

--
0==WW==0
Old 07-07-2004, 12:23 AM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Uh oh, dont include that thread of mine! lol!
Old 07-10-2004, 03:43 AM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
My Noltec bushings fit just fine, but it just may be a batch issue. I thought I read on the web somewhere that Noltec makes all of whitelines bushings....?

Last edited by Mach5WRX; 07-10-2004 at 03:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Freakin' Noltec steering bushings...