Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Did WheelWorks screw me up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 10:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Did WheelWorks screw me up?

I've had my TEIN High-Techs (about a 1.25 to 1.5" drop) with 235/45's on 17" rims. For the first few weeks of the life of these tires after I put the new springs on I had a bit of rubbing but it went away soon after. I never had an alignment done after I put the springs in (myself).

Move to 6 or so months in the future...

This past weekend I had WheelWorks give me an alignment. 4 wheel alignment for about $46, excellent price, no? Well I think I got what I paid for. These tires are far more whittled down than they were 6 months ago and since the alignment its been rubbing like mad. I haven't figured out yet where its rubbing exactly. But, as usual its when cornering and it rubs on the rear.

Would an alignment make this much of a difference? I know it wasn't perfect before but it wasn't like letting go of the wheel was making instant 90 degree turns either. I just can't see it having needed to be altered so much.

Honestly, I dont know what goes into an alightment. I do know that my steering is as straight as an arrow now.. but it rubs more than it originally did with less tire. I'm perplexed. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Did WheelWorks screw me? Or did I do it to myself?

jason
Old 02-23-2003, 11:57 PM
VIP Member

Argh, I can't find it anywhere. I did a rush cleanup before I went away for the weekend I think I chucked it... usually I keep things like this.

I'm going to go to the shop again tomorrow and get another print out and talk to the manager. I'll let you know, thanx.

What sort of differences should there be in alignment tuning when you make a modification like the TEIN springs I mentioned? An alignment basically consists of a correction of camber and toe, right? I mean the only thing I can think of is that they gave me incredible toe out on the rear or *gasp* incredible positive camber (which I doubt is even possible). There is no vertical change right? Its not like my stock struts are adjustable? Could/would/might they have let some pressure out of my struts? Argh, I just don't know enough. I basically don't want to go in tomorrow and be a complete idiot... what should I ask or look for?

jason
Old 02-24-2003, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

I've been talking with TEIN and they seem more concerned that their springs are having a problem than it being from poor alignment. The TEIN rep and I both agree that any verticle problem would be with the springs and not something like toe and camber.

Btw - he also said that my wheel and tire specs should be perfect replacements for the stock setup: I have 17x8 rims with 235/45 tires and should not be causing rubbing with the TEIN High Tech springs (which, btw are no longer for sale).

jason
Old 02-24-2003, 11:15 PM
VIP Member

Confessions of a complete idiot

OK, I figured out the problem... I had completely forgotten about the following story. I must've blocked it out

I originally had gone to WheelWorks because I had a flat and wanted to get it patched (not just plugged). When I was getting the rim off and spare on, the jack buckled. The rim was still in the well but off the hub, even so the hub was touching the ground. But it didnt look like the wheel well arc actually touched the rim. It just squished the flat tire... or so I thought.

So I was reinspecting the whole wheel and fender set up this evening and I noticed a discrepency between the fenders. A smooth bend back in, maybe a few mm in depth. I stared at both rear fenders back and forth for about 10 minutes... and realize what had happened. When the jack buckled the fender did in fact slightly bend as it rested on the wheel, with more weight than I had thought. Just a couple of millimeters and it was all out of wack.

So I took a 22mm box wrench and used the tire as a fulcrum and bent it back out. Problem fixed. Stupidity rectified. I have a few phone calls to make, esp to TEIN to explain and apologize

I should point out that, although with some wrangling, I did get EIN U.S. to agree to swap my now out of production and TEIN J-SPEC High TECHs with the newer S-TECH springs. I guess I really won't need to now...

So FYI, with my setup 17x8 w/ 46mm offset and 235/45 tires I will need to roll my fender when I get new tires.

jason
Old 02-25-2003, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Collins,

wow, that's pretty jerky of you.

I did not bother to mention that they lost lug nuts of my car. I did not bother to tell you that they almost lost my wheel key. I did not bother to tell you that they would not fess up about the lug nuts and they were quite rude about helping me with the rubbing issue, right or wrong.

Did it not occur to you that maybe my other experiences with their professionalism would color every dealing I have with them?

Also, did it not occur to you that my public correction of my own, admittedly wrong assertion will get as much "exposure" as the original post? I didn't actually have to say anything. You could have thought this threw a bit more or at least asked for more details. I was actually doing the honorable thing by publically admitting my fault and you lambast me

jason
Old 02-25-2003, 03:25 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Seriously Collins, have you ever dealy with Wheel Works? I have had at least 2 horrible experiences with that garbage *** company. They are dishonest, disrespectful, and generally a terrible business. I would recommend that every i-clubber stay away from Wheel Works unless you like dealing with the type of people described above. If you want tires, get them from tire rack. If you want an alignment, go to a local performance alignment shop that knows what they're doing. The people at Wheel Works could care less about getting your alignment right. They want to get it within factory specs and get you out the door.

I'll say it again. DO NOT GO TO WHEEL WORKS. THEY ARE A TERRIBLE COMPANY.

How's that for a lambasting?
Old 02-25-2003, 06:20 PM
VIP Member

Steppin, so I've been hearing... thanx for the confirmation A lot of people have told me that since I created this thread.

jason

Last edited by mmboost; 02-25-2003 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:18 PM
VIP Member

I was searching for something else and I found this thread... it gave me a chuckle... however I thougth I'd add this:

PURELY because of convenience and time I went to WheelWorks again, this time not in SF but by my work in Oakland....

This time they:

- scratch/rubbed the edges of the wheel so hard it took paint off

- scratched/rubbed the spokes so hard that the Volk Racing decals have odd streaks with no more color in them (i.e. they're white)

- left all sortsa of black grease all over the rim

- after having to ask FIVE times to give me the paper work for my alignment adjustment the manager finally makes some weird walk around like he was finding out for me, talked to no one, look at nothing and then tells me I can't get the paper work because the printer was down (I.e. they never did the alignment work)

- made me wait longer three times after each promise was given for my to be ready at a specific time. This was after bringing it in at the VERY beginning of the day and getting it back at 4:15pm. They promised 2, then 3 then 4pm.

- they torqued down not just stock lug nuts but the wheel locks so tight that Tommy and I had to use a breaker bar to get them off.

I don't care how convenient it is, I'm never going there again.

Yes, WHEEL WORKS / TIRES PLUS SUCKS. Whine all you want about lambasting them. THEY SUUUUUUUUUUCK.

jason
Old 07-26-2003, 07:34 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
FWIW to future readers of the thread.... by getting a "real" alignment done on a rack after previously only having a "best guess" from an install, the rear camber could have changed (been reduced) and caused the rubbing, especially with tires 30mm wider than stock.