Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Damper settings for Tein HAs

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:05 PM

Car Info: ATR Catback, HKS Downpipe, Injen CAI, 17x7.5 Rota Subzeros/Falken Azenis, Tein HA's, Apexi-SAFC,
Damper settings for Tein HAs

The TEIN manual recomends a setting of 9clicks all around. For what I understand the damper stiffness is the"fine tuning" of the suspension. It doesnt cause an extreme difference, but will make the car feel different. the car is obviously lowered but not "Slammed". Besides the coil overs I have a Perrin Rear adjustable sway bar, and wheels and tires. any recomendations for damper settings and RSB setting? thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 09:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally Posted by NJ Dino
The TEIN manual recomends a setting of 9clicks all around. For what I understand the damper stiffness is the"fine tuning" of the suspension. It doesnt cause an extreme difference, but will make the car feel different. the car is obviously lowered but not "Slammed". Besides the coil overs I have a Perrin Rear adjustable sway bar, and wheels and tires. any recomendations for damper settings and RSB setting? thanks
It's all about what type of driving you like to do and how you like your car to feel. If you want oversteer or understeer or very little of each (more neutral). If you adjust them to level 9 all they way around and drive it for a while and see what happens (how the car feels and handles). Then make some adjustments from there.

If the rear steps out (oversteer) all of the sudden and you have to react quickly to bring it back around then you may want to decrease the air pressure in the front tires, take a setting out of the rear sway bar, or increase the stiffness of the front coilovers (i.e. go up a click or two in the front). Also depending on how the ride feels you may want to drop down to level 3 or 4 on all four corners and see how that feels for daily driving. You may find that level 9 is too stiff.

It's all personal. You just have to drive around and figure it out and make small adjustments as you go. Don't change a bunch of stuff all at once cuz then you will be all confused and not know what did what.

Here is the Roger Kraus site that talks about correcting over/understeer. http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/overundr.html

The Perrin rear sway bar is 22mm dia and has three settings. The one closest to the rear of the car is the most progressive. It can make the car snap oversteer depending on other settings. So I would say to start off on the setting closest to the front of the car (least progressive) and see how you like that. Some people don't mind oversteer if they know it's comming. But under "emergency" conditions understeer is safer with less chance of loosing total control of the car. Too much oversteer and it can send you into a spin with no chance of recovery. Some oversteer is ok as long as it's not snap-oversteer (again, depending on what you like).

Also, do you have a wagon or sedan???

Last edited by Lowball; 03-07-2005 at 09:16 PM.