Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Cusco Swaybars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 11:51 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Blue
Cusco Swaybars?

I am looking at getting a Cusco Front and Rear Swaybars but I don't know if I even need them or do I just need one of them. I have heard some people say just get the rear one and others say don't get any. I just wanted to see what all of you thought.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:18 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
i just ordered a cusco rear bar from gruppe-s.com last night, and it should be here in a week or so. buying one or both kinda depends on what you want the car to do. i just bought the rear one because i'd like to reduce the ammount of understeer the car exhibits when pushed. i'm more comfortable drifting the rear of the car than the front.
if you do order a rear bar, be sure to get a set of end links too. there have been instances of people cracking or breaking the stock end links with after market bars. the stock links are plastic, and all the aftermkarket ones are aluminum. right now, i'm trying to decide between the Perrin and Kartboy end links.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sedan
i run CUSCO F&R sway bars w/ kartboy endlinks. its takes away some understeer, but greatly improves handling, stability, and decreases body roll. Sure its easier to drift with just a rear bar, but for maximum stability, i chose to go with a larger front as well.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:27 PM

i'm probably going to order a front bar after i see how things turn out with the rear one. i tend to try and make one change at a time, so that i'm sure that the changes i make are moving the car closer to what i'd like it to be.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:43 PM

okay, Gruppe-S is pretty damn good. my rear bar just came in today (i didn't even expect a delivery on a saturday).
which setting are people running their rear bar on? the Cusco bar has three differant settings, and i can't read the Japanese instructions...
Old 05-31-2003, 07:32 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
For street driving, set it on the farthest out holes. Thisequates to the sall size bar. To stiffen it up, move the edlinks in towards the 'body' of the bar.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:36 PM

great, thanks. i assume that the second and third holes are a bit too harsh for most people on the street?
strangely enough, the only part of the instructions that were in english was a massive warning that the bar was not intended for use on vehicles outside of Japan.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:00 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
No, it's not that it's harsh, it's just too aggressive. You'll be able to kick the tail out way too easily at lower speeds (great for autocross, not so great for commuting! ).
Old 06-01-2003, 07:57 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by dropkick_muppet
okay, Gruppe-S is pretty damn good. my rear bar just came in today (i didn't even expect a delivery on a saturday).
Did they send by USPS Priority Mail? No one else delivers on Saturday without an extra charge. I've ordered from both Gruppe-S and MPJ Performance and they are good shipping orders quickly.

which setting are people running their rear bar on? the Cusco bar has three differant settings, and i can't read the Japanese instructions...
If you look closely, you will see some numbers in the instructions indicating percentage of sway bar stiffness over stock - something like 133%, 148%, and 185%. Even the lowest setting will reduce the understeer and make the car more neutral. I have my Cusco rear bar set to the middle position using Whiteline billet end links. It's really transformed the car. Echoing BAN SUVS, I also recommend the first hole position so you can get used to incremental improvement.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 06-01-2003, 11:07 AM

Did they send by USPS Priority Mail? No one else delivers on Saturday without an extra charge. I've ordered from both Gruppe-S and MPJ Performance and they are good shipping orders quickly.
no, actually it came FedEx. i wa amazed that it came in two days, usually things take a lot longer than that.

If you look closely, you will see some numbers in the instructions indicating percentage of sway bar stiffness over stock - something like 133%, 148%, and 185%. Even the lowest setting will reduce the understeer and make the car more neutral. I have my Cusco rear bar set to the middle position using Whiteline billet end links. It's really transformed the car. Echoing BAN SUVS, I also recommend the first hole position so you can get used to incremental improvement
hmm, i'll have to go back and look at the instructions again. i'll have to experiment with it a little bit, hopefully i'll be able to make the NASA autocross on the 8th.