Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

buying used coilovers?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:54 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon
Arrow buying used coilovers?

I have a few questions about coilovers. Is there anything I should be wary about when buying used coilovers? Are those even something I should buy used? And since I am on a bit of a budget, are there other options that will give me a smooth + lower ride? (Sorry for all the stupid questions, new to this aftermarket tuning stuff).

Thank you!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:29 AM

Car Info: 1992 Skyline GTR BNR32
I'm sure a lot of guys will ask the following questions:
1. what is your driving style?
2. how do you plan on using the suspension (AutoX, track, daily, etc)?
3. what is your budget?

You can go with struts and springs or just springs. You can also go with STi struts for firmer ride and any quality springs for lower ride.

GL
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 AM

Just some daily driving that can handle the mountains/snow from time to time. I want the lower/ smooth ride without spending a grip on a new coil system. If I go with a New spring/strut combo, Are the shocks gunna need to be swapped too? Thanks for the reply'
Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 AM

Car Info: 1992 Skyline GTR BNR32
Originally Posted by ARisso916
Just some daily driving that can handle the mountains/snow from time to time. I want the lower/ smooth ride without spending a grip on a new coil system. If I go with a New spring/strut combo, Are the shocks gunna need to be swapped too? Thanks for the reply'
You're not going to get a comfortable ride from coilovers. I would highly recommend starting off by getting some STi struts that will fit your car's tophats and get yourself some used aftermarket springs. This was the first method I went with and it cost me a few hundred and a few hours of work.

Overall, I learned a ton about my car and really figured out what I wanted. I would recommend the same for you too.

you can also find used aftermarket struts online as well as springs for cheap.

hope that helps
Old 02-24-2010, 04:18 PM

That did thanks for the advice!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:20 AM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
I have a few questions about coilovers. Is there anything I should be wary about when buying used coilovers? Are those even something I should buy used? And since I am on a bit of a budget, are there other options that will give me a smooth + lower ride? (Sorry for all the stupid questions, new to this aftermarket tuning stuff).

Thank you!
I wouldn't buy use shocks in general. Just because in most cases, you'll be better off just buying brand new one. As for your coilover questions, you need to weigh the cost/return of rebuilding coilovers as opposed to just buying brand new ones.

Might as well. Everytime you tinker with shocks/springs/mounts/camber bolt, you'll need to have your car aligned. Might as well do both at the same time. Save yourself some time, and yeah.

Originally Posted by dchoi23
You're not going to get a comfortable ride from coilovers. I would highly recommend starting off by getting some STi struts that will fit your car's tophats and get yourself some used aftermarket springs. This was the first method I went with and it cost me a few hundred and a few hours of work.

Overall, I learned a ton about my car and really figured out what I wanted. I would recommend the same for you too.

you can also find used aftermarket struts online as well as springs for cheap.

hope that helps
I will have to disagree with your first statement. Though... that is generally the case with most coilover set-ups, especially the cheaper ones, that is not always true. If you get some really nice coilovers, especially the German ones like the KW, and you pair your springs with a properly valved shock, you could have an amazing ride.

Honestly though, just drive the car as is for awhile and figure out what you want to do. Since it seems that you aren't planning on racing, best bet is to talk to a shop and doing it right the first time and getting a good shock and spring combo. Idiot proof, reliable, durable, and in most cases, the shocks will have a lifetime warranty (though sometimes limited lifetime warranty).