Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

2002 WRX, play in shift knob when in gear?

Old 05-16-2014, 12:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
2002 WRX, play in shift **** when in gear?

When I am in gear, I can still wiggle the gear stick about an inch in either direction with very little effort; it does not pop out of gear, but moves a lot more than it feels like it should. I feel like my transmission mounts are also shot (13 years in AZ heat) but this is just the shifter, I can move it with a single fingertip it is so loose. Is this an issue? Can I tighten the linkage to prevent this?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:16 PM

Car Info: '05 Saab 92x Aero
TiC 5MT Linkage Update

I just replaced my shifter U-joint w/ this because my stock u-joint bushing had worn so badly that I actually couldn't get into second there was so much side to side slop in the shifter. The stock U-joint up until I believe 06 is not serviceable, so you can't just replace the bushing - you have to replace the whole unit w/ this bad boy - then it will be serviceable in the future and comes w/ stiff bushings.

I have upgraded just about every shifter bushing and that was the last outstanding piece of slop I had. It makes a HUGE difference. The stock shifter bushing is basically a capital I and on mine both ends of the I were worn off so it looked like a lowercase l. That bit of slop in the linkage translates to a lot of play in the shifter.

If you're feeling bold you can DIY this but I had a local transmission shop install it while it was in for an axle seal leak.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Awesome suggestion! I have a Kartboy short-shifter I installed myself, and a lot of wrench time on this car, so I may DIY this one... cool looking part, too bad no one can see it when it is installed! Thanks for your help.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
+1, get the TIC kit. Put one in mine last year when the old bushings fell apart.
Also do their shift lever bushing at the same time if you don't already have one, plus the Kartboy bushings (which TIC sells) if you don't have those. Your shifter will then be as tight as it can get.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:20 PM

Car Info: '05 Saab 92x Aero
Originally Posted by meilers
Awesome suggestion! I have a Kartboy short-shifter I installed myself, and a lot of wrench time on this car, so I may DIY this one... cool looking part, too bad no one can see it when it is installed! Thanks for your help.
Good deal - ya if you search around for 5MT shifter linkage update you'll find some how-to's. I had the intention of doing this myself but when I got the car in the air it looked a tad beyond my comfort level w/ having to support the transmission and push out the pin holding the linkage in place. Best of luck though! It definitely helps improve the shifter feel dramatically if you have a lot of side to side play.