Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

winding sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 12:27 PM

winding sound

when i down shift i hear a really loud winding sound, i guess its my gears but its louder than other cars you guys have this loud sound to. and its not a constant sound its like a pulsing sound.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:22 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
It probably by description gear whine.

I will theorize the pulsing effect is due to how much stress is being put on the gears. Think of it as the gears bouncing off the small amount of play in the drivetrain while slowing down.

The gears tend to be louder in this car becuase its AWD and the differentials and everything add up sound wise.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:40 PM

should i have to get this fixed or is it normal???
Old 07-11-2004, 09:28 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Well i'm assuming you have a stock transmission. The first two gears to my knowledge are straight which tend to cavitate which makes that nice whine some crazy guys like me sorta love

Just out of curiousity how many miles are on the car?

If its like 30k or around there pull out the transmission dipstick and look at your oil (do this when its hot ok?). If its pretty black and/or if its low consider changing it to a synchro mesh brand of your choice or a cocktail version of it.

I know people like redline but i haven't used it myself becuase my car simply doesn't have so many miles on it *chuckles*

BTW i forgot to mentio the rear diff. , have it checked for fluid levels or check it yourself at an oil refill shop of your choice. They generally don't bull**** about levels and give you the proper change times without you nosing through your service manual.

All in all i've love to take a drive in your car and try to diagnose it further but this is all just speculation and general info for now.

Well i think i've covered the most obvious bases. If you got a mechanically inclined friend i would sugguest you have him sit in the car with you and show him what you mean. Though i am sorely tempted to say your problem is simply just normal sounds.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:17 PM

hey thanks for the advice...well i got 5k and its a 2004 and my fluid levels are all full. i guess ill wait till the suby cruise on july 18 maybe they will know. thanks man./