Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

What fluids to use in your Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 01:36 PM

I use Amsoil in WRX for engine oil, 5W 30 series 3000. Series 2000 75/90 for the rear. and Dino for the 5 speed trans. Don't forget the power streering I use Amsoil Dextron III compatable auto trans fluid... As well as the Amsoil air filter...
Old 10-21-2004, 01:04 AM

Question

Originally Posted by supertek75
I just noticed today that my coolant is running low. Can I just go to a Subaru dealership and purchase a jug of their coolant solution and pour it directly into the coolant tank, or do I have to do a whole flush of my system and pour in the Subaru coolant solutin + the jug of distilled water and possibly the bottle of Redline Water Weter? I know that this is totally a noob's question, but how else are noobs to learn if they don't ask.
Does anyone know the price for each jug of coolant that can be purchased from the dealerships?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:33 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
It varies depending on dealer markup.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:06 PM

Car Info: (2005 OBP STi - RIP), 2008 BMW M3
Originally Posted by ScoobyEnthused
Does anyone know the price for each jug of coolant that can be purchased from the dealerships?
When I went to the the dealership in Oakland, they charged me $25 + tax.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:16 PM

Factory tranny oil

>Others will say to simply use the factory fluid, but nobody seems to have a certain
>grasp on exactly what it is or where to get it.

On the subject of factory fluids... my 05 STi was delivered with the tranny oil showing just above the 'L' mark on the dipstick (didn't notice until the day after I bought it). I'd rather not jump to a new oil so soon. Is there any oil I'd be safe in using to top it off?
I'm presuming the factory oil is 75W90 dino oil, but I've searched and can't find a satisfactory answer. Any ideas? Has anyone tried calling Subaru for this information?

Also, does anyone know how much oil you have to add to get from the 'L' mark to the 'F' mark?

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-26-2005, 07:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Since your car is brand new just take it back to the dealer and show them the level is low, they will top it off with the proper fluid.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:04 AM

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I've spoken with two dealers, who knew nothing about the factory fluids. They offered to top it off with pennzoil brand gear oil, but I don't think mixing oils in a new tranny is a great idea.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:01 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Originally Posted by meilers
Thanks for the excellent post. However, I'd like to add the following:

Be VERY CAREFUL what engine coolant you use -- it must be completely safe for ALUMINUM ENGINES specifically. There are a few low-cost brands out there (Peak, for one) that contain silicates which can degrade an aluminum radiator and even cause engine block wear. Both my dealer and their lead shop mechanic said WRX models in particular should use the factory Subaru fluid (which they sell in gallong jugs as well) and nothing else, because of this danger. Normally I would be skeptical, but the mechanic pointed out that they could actually make more money selling a brand-name fluid to customers -- they would just rather take the loss and avoid replacing radiators under warranty

For the record, I run factory subaru coolant (which is premixed 50/50 with water) + 1 jug of distilled ionized water + 1 bottle of Redline Water Wetter.

can i just put the subaru coolant and redline water wetter. Or do i need to put distilled ionized water? --- is this the normal "distilled water that u can buy at wal-mart?
Old 10-27-2005, 12:41 PM
VIP Member

i use crisco canola oil, and uber hot super duper import turbo fluid. and light up neon winshield wiper fluid
Old 10-27-2005, 01:04 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
and your suppose to be a vip member. jeesh
Old 10-27-2005, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by _sti_05
can i just put the subaru coolant and redline water wetter. Or do i need to put distilled ionized water? --- is this the normal "distilled water that u can buy at wal-mart?
You need both coolant and water if you use the OE stuff. You can use any distilled water, as long as the bottle says "distilled" on it.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:46 AM

how much water with the coolant? i thought the coolant was premixed?

is it hard to bleed the radiator when replacing coolant? or do we just fill and keep an eye on the levels?

same about bleeding the brake fluid?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Don't add water at all unless you live in a place which rarely goes below freezing. I wouldn't dilute the OEM or aftermarket coolant more than 1/4th if there is the SLIGHTEST chance that you'd be exposed to below-freezing temps for more than 8-10 hours. There is no radiator on earth (even the new plastic ones) that would survive even a partial freeze.

Quick Reply: What fluids to use in your Subaru