Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Warm Up/Idle Cool Down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Warm Up/Idle Cool Down?

I searched and could not find answers.

I currently do not have a Turbo Timer installed and was wondering what's everyone's thoughts on Cold Start Warm Up and Idle Cool Down?

I hear the Turbo is colant cooled, cool, but still interested in see times for proper cool down.

For warmups, I usally wait 4 mins before driving, idle down about 1 min.

Disscuss..

Thanks in adv.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
You'll get mixed answers on this. IMO both are important. Warm up more so than cool down. I have a TT. Most of the time I leave it off or shut it off unless I do a really hard run and heat the sucker up then I let the auto function take it down for me.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I think warmup is more important than cooldown. When I'm not late for work, I'll wait for the needle to move at least a little before driving it. I'm also driving in ~20 degree weather, so its more important.

As for cool down, I don't worry about it for normal around-town driving. But, after an auto-x run, I usually let the engine idle for about 2-5 minutes to cool down before shutting it off.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Waiting for the coolant temp to come up is a waste of time and fuel, even in the winter unless it is brutally cold. It is best for the engine and entire drivetrain to start the car and after allowing a minute or so for the engine to stabilize and oil to circulate, drive off gently. The engine will actually warm up faster if it's under load than just idling, and if the car isn't moving the other drivetrain parts (trans, diffs, bearings etc) aren't warming up at all.
Just be sure to allow the engine to come up to full operating temperature before beating on it. This does not mean when the coolant gauge reaches the middle as that happens within a very short amount of driving, but rather when the oil is up to temp. If you have an oil temp gauge it is eaiser to determine when it's warmed up.
An extended cooldown is not necessary either, and there is absolutely no need for a TT. Under normal driving conditions the engine can be shut down as soon as you park, although there is certainly nothing wrong with allowing it to idle for an additonal 30 seconds or so. Any more is not needed unless the car has been driven extremely hard right before parking.
For those not already aware, Subaru has long ago issued an official statement that no cooldown period is required for their turbo engines.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Originally Posted by nKoan
I think warmup is more important than cooldown. When I'm not late for work, I'll wait for the needle to move at least a little before driving it. I'm also driving in ~20 degree weather, so its more important.

As for cool down, I don't worry about it for normal around-town driving. But, after an auto-x run, I usually let the engine idle for about 2-5 minutes to cool down before shutting it off.
On my N/A, I do exactly the same. In warm weather I worry less about either, but during these cold winter months (-5 for a high this sunday...brrr!) I really try my best to get the car running for a few minnutes before i take off. In all cases however (cold), I abide by the "if it is making a strage noise, let it idle untill the noise goes away" when starting up at the very least.

I agree though that cool down is less important. Around town I don't worry about it, but after rally-x and canyon runs I try and let it idle for a while.
-Jeff
Old 01-11-2007, 07:07 PM

Car Info: 2006 OBP LGT
in regards to the turbo's...our stock turbo's from ihi are oil and water cooled so there is no cool down period necessary unless of course as stated, the car has been driven very hard recently. it's the oil cooled turbos u have to worry about.

-mark
Old 01-12-2007, 07:49 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Thanks, great reading and thoughts all over. I pretty much agree with the whole "Coolant Temp" as well.

Feel free to share if you are lurking, drop the knowledge.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX sedan
I warm up for a minute or 2, then treat it really nice until the needle is at the regular spot for a bit. I have a TT but i only use it after driving on the freeway for a long time or i was driving very hard. Now, the main purpose of my TT is for warming up my car while i brush my teeth.