Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 01:23 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX (Silver Sedan)
Transmission questions

A little over a month ago, I purchased a 2004 WRX sedan and just like most of you, I've been reading a lot of the transmission horror stories with warranty issues. I realize SOA is quite stingy when it comes to "driver abuse" issues with their transmissions...do you guys have any recommendations for a newbie that doesn't want to get screwed by this transmission game?
Old 01-02-2004, 01:44 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Drive carefully (read: smoothly). Don't drag race (no high rev clutch dumps). Read this: http://www.spdusa.com/shifting.htm

Oh and don't mod anything that would void your warranty. Also even with mods that DON'T void your warranty, or at least shouldn't, it will still give SOA something to point at if they wanted to deny your warranty... If push comes to shove it seems you can take SOA to small claims or call up the BBB and things get sorted out if they try to screw you over...
Old 01-02-2004, 03:31 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX
Originally posted by KmanRuffian
Read this: http://www.spdusa.com/shifting.htm
Wow that was the best read I have had on shifting it helps a lot, thanks!
Old 01-02-2004, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the info. So what do you guys think about tranny oil? Is Motul 300 the best choice?
Old 01-02-2004, 06:09 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
I've heard lots of people swear by Neo oil but see the bottom line as I understand it is this. Gear oil is all about a trade-off between friction and feel. The smoother or more "fluid" your transmission feels, the less that oil will help the synchros to grip and do their job. The more "notchiness" (more friction) gear oil provides, the better synchros can grip and do their job, but the crappier it will feel.... So the best oil is not necessarily the one that "feels" the best. I would do some research on the net and decide for yourself. I would stick with the recommended oil viscosity/weight that Subaru recommends in the manual as to avoid all possible reasons for them to void your warranty should something go wrong with your tranny... A top quality synthetic oil should provide slightly better performance than the stock oil but I have heard people who change it and have problems so I'm waiting for now to change mine. Dunno if that helps any but that's my 2 cents as it were.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
I just read the link about shifting, and it is spot-on! I use, not always, but often enough, an old, old, old shifting technique: the old double clutch from 1st to 2nd, for moderate starts. It gives a no-jerk engagement, and when I mash on it in 2nd, the punch is just when it is expected, without the strain. I also try to up and down shift as much as possible without the clutch, just to save it, and in so doing, save the tranny as well. Try it, you'll like it.
(I learned to drive on a '38 International 3-speed pickup) Double clutching that thing was the only way to go from 1-2 without taking lots of shine off the gears- no synchro, in them thar days!
Old 01-04-2004, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the recommendation JET. Hey nypatrick, can you explain this double clutch technique? And how do you downshift without the clutch...are there any dangers in doing this?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:53 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
Q #1: Double clutching: This is not a speed shift; it is a way to shift with least strain on the parts. After starting in 1st, just ease off the throttle, floor the clutch, pull the gear shift to neutral, release the clutch and immediately floor it again as you shift into 2nd, release the clutch and give gas at the same time: after practice, this becomes a smoot, easy shift. You can do the same with higher gears, but the best benefit comes from 1-2. Remember, this is not a speed shift!

Q #2A: Upshift w/o clutch: (not recommended for 1st-2nd) Lift the gas just enought to enable you to push the shifter from 2nd to 3rd in a smooth push. You should feel the synchro help you, and then you're on your way. Same thing can be done all the way up the gears. Again, a bit of practice helps. If you miss the synchro, use the clutch as you normally would: getting the gear speeds to match later is a second art in itself.

Q2B: It is the reverse of 2A- release gas pedal some (but not all the way) so that you can shift out of 5th to 4th in one smooth motion. Keep up enough revs to match the synchros. You may find that a slight gas lift is all that is needed- the revs will pick up as you pass neutral, which is often just what you need to catch the next gear down. NOT recommended for 2nd to 1st due to the wider gear spacing. NOT for speed downshifts, either; just a way to ease clutch and tranny wear and tear. Takes a bit of practice, but it becomes a mind game: I try for 20-25% no-clutch shifting, up and down.

Good luck- take your time trying this.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:50 PM

Thanks, I'll go try it out!
Old 01-06-2004, 12:42 PM

Car Info: 2010 370z Roadster, 2008 Frontier CrewCab
I drive carefully and responsibily (I drive around my 3 year old and 9 month old) in my WRX, but sometimes I worry too. The WRX manual transmission isn't nearly as precise feeling as my Acura's was.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:14 PM

Hey RacerZ22, I noticed you're a USAF crew chief...that's awesome! I'll actually be going to pilot training next June at Sheppard. Right now I'm going to school at Sac State.

What do you think of your WRX so far? I saw that you have a 2002.