Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Sticky Elec. Throttle? 05 RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 05 2.5RS Wagon Royal Blue Pearl
Sticky Elec. Throttle? 05 RS

Ok here's the deal. I've got a 05 2.5RS purchased in July, and it now has 10K on it. I've noticed that when accelerating "briskly," anything from half to full throttle acceleration, the RPM's seem to hang a bit. It's like the throttle is staying open a bit between shifts, or like I have a huge flywheel. After driving around in the snow, some fooling around-mostly point a to b, I got a flashing cruise light with no CE light. The only modification is a snorkus-ectomy. I'll get it to the dealer eventually, but if anyone in the forum can give me some ammo to go there with I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:45 PM

Car Info: 2017 STI
as an 05 rs owner, i sometimes have the same problem. it's either i have no clue what im talking about, how I shift, or its the car itself. i realized the only way to solve that problem is to just fully disengage the clutch (driving a manual correctly). there still might be some engagement between the clutch and the gears if the rpms still "hang" while shifting; or sadly, its the car's problem (i believe its the car's problem). either way, i've tried what i could to prevent that, but it still happens somtimes. if you find out something new, let me know about it! im no expert in this, but i see where you're coming from. gl with it!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I think this is pretty much normal for the drive-by-wire Subies. I drove few STi's with them and I hated it. Throttle feedback does not exist pretty much. Feels laggy, sticky, slow, heavy.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:48 PM

At first I thought I was just not getting off the gas enough before putting the clutch in. But if I get off the gas really early the RPM still rise a bit like it might in my huge flywheel theory. Sounds like something that could be tuned in a re-flash.....anybody listening?
Old 01-01-2005, 08:04 AM

05' RS's have drive-by wire throttles? 04's do not right?
Old 01-01-2005, 09:07 AM

IIRC 04 Sti's have the TBW and all 05's, I may be wrong though. I posted on the Legacy board about the same thing and they reported this also btw.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:23 AM

wow... damn lucky I got a 04rs. always wondered why I disliked the 04 sti's throttle... thanks for the info.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:38 PM

Angry Revisited

Bumpy, Like a noob I posted my problem in the new Legacy forum only to find their was already a thread on the problem....and now there is a third. The turbo Leggs reported this delayed throttle action on throttle application also. What is of note and worth the bump is that a few said that the problem stopped after they tuned with an Accessport and someone mentioned that the topic was brought up with Vishnu. My RS did this before and after the "snorkus-ectomy," I've since reinstalled the snorkus and the problem has subsided a bit. But I'm afraid the computer will relearn the bad, from my pov, habit. Any new thoughts now that there are more 05's out there?