Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

spark plug wire arc's with distributor

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:51 PM

Exclamation spark plug wire arc's with distributor

I drove my car to the magazine store after work. It ran fine. I start it up to go home and I here little tic noises. Kind of sounds like plastic somewhere sticking to itself then unsticking. I drive it home. Halfway home I notice that the idle is way sloppy. So I get it home pop the hood with the car running and see little tiny lighning bolts. Going from a spark plug wire to the rear bolt on the distributor. What the hell is this about. And how do I stop it. Change the plugs, change the wires? Is it covered by warranty? Help please.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:34 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by boxstahboy
I drove my car to the magazine store after work. It ran fine. I start it up to go home and I here little tic noises. Kind of sounds like plastic somewhere sticking to itself then unsticking. I drive it home. Halfway home I notice that the idle is way sloppy. So I get it home pop the hood with the car running and see little tiny lighning bolts. Going from a spark plug wire to the rear bolt on the distributor. What the hell is this about. And how do I stop it. Change the plugs, change the wires? Is it covered by warranty? Help please.
Not sure on how old your wires are but it sounds like heat degradation to me. Perhaps your wires got burned a bit? I suppose you could tap it but i would recommend getting another wire set and finding out how and why your wires degraded to a point that its arching.

Also, Check to make sure all connections are firmly connected. Its possible you have a loose wire too easiest path to ground after all.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Moved by sonicsuby. Please pm me if you have any questions. Thank you.