Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

should i buy this WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:57 AM

Car Info: want STI
Question should i buy this WRX?

does this car sound like a good deal if i got him down to $12,000 or $13,000
im concerened about the broken spring and how he said he drove it hard
let me know how you feel about this car

2004 WRX Java Black Pearl. Lots of aftermarket parts will come with the car, but they have been removed. Car is stock except for Bride racing seat and Kartboy short shifter.

Parts included:

-18" Rota Tarmac Wheels (need tires)
-TurboXS Turboback Exhaust
-VERY rare Prodrive axleback muffler
-Progress Lowering Springs (one is broken but should still be under warranty)
-Defi BF Amber Series Boost and EGT gauges. Gauges are in car still but disconnected, come with all sensors and electronic control unit (gauges alone worth about 700 dollars)
-Perrin Crank Pulley
-Perrin Rear Sway Bar / Endlinks / Swaybar mounts
-Worx tuning 25 way adjustable blowoff valve (best BOV for WRX period, amazing sound too)
-Many more things that I am probably forgetting.

What the car needs:

Front passenger door has a few dings on it, paint is in good condition, few minor scratches here and there. E-mail me if you would like pictures. The car has about 63,000 miles on it and the engine is in great condition, mobil 1 synthetic used every 3000 miles since the break-in period. Never abused, driven aggressively but these cars are meant for that. Amazing in the winter, great deal here as I really need money right now. Willing to negotiate on the price a bit $14,000
Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 PM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza 2.5
sounds like it could possibly have been beat on if after market parts were on it and the fact that he told you it was driven hard. You're call I guess or wait for some more responses, just my .02
Old 11-14-2007, 04:26 PM

Yup, its pretty rare that someone buys those parts and drives the car gently - and at least the guy admits that it has been driven aggressively.

It depends on whether you want a clean car or not. In my mind, there are four categories of used car:

clean and well maintained: full service history and driven by an average owner - great if you are a middle of the road driver who wants a clean, reliable car.

clean but not maintained: no mods or abuse, but neglected, infrequent oil changes etc. - may be bad depending on neglect.

modded/raced but well maintained: many people who race and/or mod their cars still maintain them really well. However, wear and tear (wheel bearings, transmission etc.) will usually be higher for a given mileage

badly modded/raced/neglected: the car has been modded on a budget - very scarey.

It depends what you want to take on.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:49 PM

Car Info: want STI
thanks for all your opinions, its a tough decision, but i want to be a proud owner of my first subaru! ill have to look around and keep my options open
Old 11-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
yea. just save your money. sti range is just around the corner. like the others said..its pretty hard to not abuse it with the mods listed. but if you believe this car is for you. then get it.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP WRX
it took me over 6 months to find my subaru. I bought a jbp 04 wrx competely stock for 16k and the mileage was 22k at the time.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 PM

Car Info: 2005 Forester X
I'd ask for paper work on the maintenance on top of that I'd call the guys that worked on his car the most to see what kind of guy the seller really is and how they saw him treating his car. I have a full TBE, AP, springs, sway bars, end links, getting a tune and just got some new wheels, but I treat my car with respect and the guys at LIC can vouch for how I treat it. Having that out side nutrual party giving feed back from first hand experience is important in this situation. Also, what does he mean by aggressively? If he is a bad driver and has driven it aggressively it could mean tranny problem later on down the road or something worse. My 0.02.