Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Question on fuel injection cleaning..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 05:05 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX 5spd
Question on fuel injection cleaning..

I was planning on cleaning the fuel injection but I was just curious about one thing.
While getting my routine fluid changes at a local shop, the mechanic told me that my fuel injection was dirty but he refused to clean it saying that it should be done thru the dealer b/c turbo cars require some sort of special treatment method to clean the fuel injectors. He also told me never to pour a fuel cleaner into the gas tank b/c that'll clog the cat. Sounds like BS to me but who am I to question a mechanic. So I'm a little startled about this matter.
Just wanna make sure if this is true or not...
Old 09-06-2004, 05:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Just how did the mechanic know the system needed cleaning?
It is not normal for the fuel injection to require any special cleaning service other than changing the fuel filter at the proper intervals (30K). The gasoline you use contains detergents that keep the injectors clean as you drive. Unless you somehow got some contaminated fuel that passed through the filter the fuel system should not require any further attention. The fact that it's a turbo car does not make any difference with regard to how the fuel system should be serviced.
It's also ok to use a cleaner like Techron in the tank occasionally, that's what they are made for. Probably not necessary but won't harm anything as long as you only use it as specified, and it's best to do so right before an oil change.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:02 PM

Signs of carbon stains on the air filter, dirty\black muffler, over 30k miles, I figure he came to the assumption that it was dirty.
But I just wanted to make sure that I can pour techron into the gas tank. I'm not a mechanic so I figured I'd take precaution b4 any action.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Dirt in the air filter is normal, as long as it's on the outside and not the engine side. There is no connection between the air filter and the fuel system.
Some carbon in the tailpipes is also normal and does not indicate any problem. The WRX runs very rich under boost.
I suspect your mechanic is not very familiar with this car, and suggest that you either find a different mechanic who knows Subarus better or begin doing your own maintenance.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mulder
Dirt in the air filter is normal, as long as it's on the outside and not the engine side. There is no connection between the air filter and the fuel system.
Some carbon in the tailpipes is also normal and does not indicate any problem. The WRX runs very rich under boost.
I suspect your mechanic is not very familiar with this car, and suggest that you either find a different mechanic who knows Subarus better or begin doing your own maintenance.

Alright.. Gonna look into it. Thanks for all the extra info even though I just wanted to know if I can pour techron into my gas tank...
Old 09-16-2004, 11:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
My experience with adding Techron to my 02 WRX has been that there is a noticeable performance drop after using it (tried two full bottles for up to 20 gallons-I learned not to use it after the second time). I use Chevron gas religiously, and I never experienced any problems putting (concentrated) Techron in my cars in the past. Anyhow, that mechanic may have been right about one thing; that the 3 cats on the car may suffer from ingesting a concentrated cleaner. So stick to using Chevron gasoline only, and you should be just fine without having to use any cleaners.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:20 PM

Car Info: '02 OBS '03 Baja
Use a can of B-12 Chemtool in the gas tank to clean your fuel system. It works. It is cheap. It can be found even at Wally World. Brian
Old 10-03-2004, 09:22 PM

Smile

We use BG fuel cleaning system in our Crown Victoria's (Police Interceptor Package), Chevy Impala's (Police Package), and Camaro SS (Police Highway Persuit Package). Since they do more stop and go in city streets 24/7, they're more susceptable to carbon build up. I can testify that the BG fuel cleaning system works. I've talk to some GM, Ford, Honda, and Toyota technicians also and some of them said that Chevron w/ Techron also works, just don't buy the concentrated stuff since it's a waste of money. It's already proportionally included in the gas. Also, some of these additives are O2 and Cat safe. I don't know about other brands though.