Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Overheating Issues Solved! HELPFUL INFO!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:49 PM

Car Info: 03 Bugeye, D675, Lightning
Overheating Issues Solved! HELPFUL INFO!

So recently had overheating issues. I searched the i-club forums but I couldn't find anything that was close to my symptoms and no solutions. So i figured it out on my own and now i want to put it on the forums for you guys.

Symptoms/ diagnostics:
Overheating.
1. The car would overheat during moderate to hard acceleration and going up hill.
2. The car would be fine (temp drops) at cruising speeds. motor at 3k rpms
3. The temp seemed to rise when the car was coasting on the freeway with clutch put in. Made no sense, i know...
4. Water would boil out every time i stopped (cuz the coolant was HOT). Then the reserve tank would suck itself dry.
5. The temp would go up, down, up, down.
6. I topped of the fluids, burped, etc. Then the problem went away and the car was fine.
7. Then one day coming back from Tahoe, the car was at normal temp, but no heater. Then the temp raised above norm and came down and again...
8. All along, the car had no leaks that i could see except for the boiling over

Problem: Thermostat Was going BAD

1. The T was sometimes opening, sometimes not, sometimes a little. Causing the temp to fluctuate.
2. No heater when the car was hot confirmed it for me. Reason? The water was not flowing through b/c the thermostat was stuck closed or not open enough to bring in hot coolant into the unit.

Now the Problem has been fixed! Woohoo!

Good luck with your overheating issues! 03' bugeye
Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
wow thank you! my EXACT problem right now!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
Makes sense but good to hear you fixed your car...
Old 01-06-2009, 02:55 AM

Car Info: Silver WRX
I am going through the same problems. Radiator fluids kept being sucked dry for the longest time and didn't know why until a few days ago when it decided to show itself. I've been taking care of the car by driving a very conservative 65 avg for the longest time until I was late and drove hard up to sunol and noticed the temp gauge to yo yo up and down, on the way home car was not giving good signs, check engine blinking and engine bogging. Popped the hood and notice the crack and gushing fluids. After replacing radiator, rad cap and rad therm, engine was still boggin pulling P0303p/d. Checked sparks and #3 ignition coil popped out, somehow the bolt vibrated out. Going to replace coil today hopefully it does it.