Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

my motor locked up

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 09:15 PM

my motor locked up

hey every one the worst thing happened to me i was driving today and i told my borther after i drop you off i am going to get an oil change. so i drop him off and was on my way when all of sudden my car shut off. i did not know why so i restarted it and kept on driving then i herd this terrible knocking sound i kept on driving then the oil light came on. after that it was all over my car shut off and would not restart. i was by my performance shop where i get all my work done and they checked my oil. i had nothing, no oil!!! i was ony over 156 miles. how is that possible to be bone dry what should i do????
Old 08-11-2005, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
How many miles does your car have and how long ago was your last service? Subarus tend to burn a bit more oil than most cars but certainly it shouldn't have burnt through the whole thing. I'd imagine you have a leak somewhere or something else had been seriously wrong to cause that kind of oil consumption.

what should you do: if you think it's a defect and you're in warranty and not too modded, see if your local Subaru service department will take care of you. If not, buy a wrecked STi (side hit or roll) and swap in the STi motor for the smog legal power bump and a six speed . It's not going to be cheap but it will be cool.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 PM

i have an sti but i dont understand how i did not have any oil in my car my oil light never came on
Old 08-12-2005, 02:15 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
basically, the light sucks. If you see the oil light come on, then your motor is already toasted. they should really make the light moire useful and have it warn you when your LOW on oil, not almost empty.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
It's not a "low oil" light, it's a low pressure light, which is why you should likely start seeing indications of an oil issue in hard turns when the light may blink briefly.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:58 PM

This doesnt make any sense. I had to read your first post like 3 times to figure out what you were saying.
Second, you buy an STI, total performance car, yet you dont know that you have to check the oil occasionally.
Third, what is the maintiance history of the car, how many miles are on it, and what kind of mods has your "performance shop" done on the car.
Sorry to hear what happened, buy you failed basic car ownership responsibility, checking your fluids.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:48 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
Originally Posted by sonicsuby
It's not a "low oil" light, it's a low pressure light, which is why you should likely start seeing indications of an oil issue in hard turns when the light may blink briefly.

OHhHhhhhhhhhhhhh..... that makes a lot more sense. Nice.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:40 PM

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825111

The complete story helps....

Looks like a combo of incompetent service at Goodyear plus a failure to self-check fluids regularly. Only going 150 miles or so since the oil change is a pretty good smoking gun against Goodyear.

Take it to a dealer and be up front with them about your thoughts that Goodyear screwed something up. They will look for any evidence to support that. Once you have that info, take it with you to Goodyear and speak with a manager. Show him what the dealer found and what they think happened, and ask him how he wants to proceed. If he doesn't immediately step up and do the right thing, tell him what you feel is the right thing for him to do. If he still doesn't want to step up, consider legal options.

BTW, getting an aftermarket turbo could seriously jeapardize the warranty on your powertrain components. Think twice before you go down that road, and be prepared to pony up for anything that breaks if it isn't covered under warranty. If you can't afford to replace an engine or tranny out of pocket, do not install an aftermarket turbo.