Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

missing and sputtering (previous owner modified alternator wiring)

Old 03-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Angry missing and sputtering

Ok, I am about to go crazy trying to figure what is wrong with my Subie. Here's the deal. About a month ago, I notice my car (02' WRX) started what felt like sputtering or missing under load or WOT. I changed the plugs, cleaned injectors, and checked for boost leaks. Nothing. So then all of a sudden it stops, so I'm thinking great it's over. then my car dies and it will not start, so I switch out the battery and it starts right up. I take it and have the alternator checked out and it says charging system needs service. So I look at the alternator and who ever owned it before had cut the alternator clip and put two little connectors there, well one of them was off. I put it back on and charging system if fine on the test. I'm like great, and pull off. As soon as i take off there is the missing and sputtering again at WOT between 3 and 5500 RPM's, real jerky and stuff. So I get out and pull one of the little wires off and bam, just smooth as could be, but obviously I can't leave it off because then the alternator gets no juice. What in the world could this be??? ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I put pics of the wires on and off so you can see what I am talking about. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails missing and sputtering (previous owner modified alternator wiring)-picture-120.jpg   missing and sputtering (previous owner modified alternator wiring)-picture-121.jpg   missing and sputtering (previous owner modified alternator wiring)-picture-122.jpg   missing and sputtering (previous owner modified alternator wiring)-picture-123.jpg  

Last edited by Wingless Wonder; 03-11-2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: file size too large to display - converted Windows .bmp images to JPEG
Old 03-11-2007, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Have you traced both wires back to the other ends? That would probably tell you what they are for. They aren't factory-installed.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 03-12-2007, 12:41 AM

Car Info: 2003 aspen white wrx
how are the battery terminals are they caked with white stuff? that does not look factory at all.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
the factory connection that goes on the alternator is what is missing. those two wires are connected to the alternator. the factory connection was cut off and replaced with those two wires. I assume it was to run stereo equip. or something.